Stratification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huffdawg

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2009
British Columbia Canada
After re-plumbing the piping between Buffer and Storage tanks utilizing opposed circs I seem to be getting stratification now . Overnight the storage tank tops are still running temps of 174 or so instead of being 145 from top to bottom.. No more dhw shortages in the mornings.:cool: today.png

I think if I was faced with that, I would put in an ordinary electric hot water tank/heater (or gas if you have that), and heat it when the wood boiler is heating (assuming you're doing that now?). Can be done with a sidearm - not sure what you have now. Not sure it's worth it to heat DHW with wood in the non-heating season, as heating ours electrically is only in the $20-25/mo range at $0.18/kwh. I definitely wouldn't go back to oil & a coil - been there, not going back.

HPWH might be a choice too, if there are incentives where you are.

Last edited:
Yes I am considering buy one from Tom. No there are no incentives. My concern with not using oil, is corrosion in the boiler, and vent when sitting cold all summer.

Yes I am considering buy one from Tom. No there are no incentives. My concern with not using oil, is corrosion in the boiler, and vent when sitting cold all summer.
With the geosprings discontinued at the end of the year there might be some deals to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.