Streamlined My Operation - Rear Loading Wood Bin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin M

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2008
Southbury, CT
In the past I would let my wood season in stacks in the yard, moving it near the house and re stacking it in the fall. I would then carry the wood in though the house in a canvas tote to fill my wood bin. My wood bin is in the living room, but built in to the garage.
PRE_2010-10-07-095700.jpg
PRE_2010-10-07-095722.jpg

So l decided to put a door on the back of the wood bin, making access from the garage.
PRE_2010-10-07-080545.jpg
PRE_2010-10-07-080600.jpg

Now, I don't have to move the wood up to house house and re stack it. I just drive the tractor out to stacks in the yard and haul a load right in to the garage. Additionally, I don't have to carry all the wood through the house in the canvas tote. This project will save me a ton of work, literally.

Good thinking, you just gave me an idea how I can cut out a step in my process. Im going to kick the idea around and Ill post pics if it works out.

Very cool idea.

Justin nice job, how much wood does that hold?

zap

Good idea! Something like that would be nice but my fireplace takes up the whole wall that backs up to the garage.

I wish I had a remote chance of copying you. Nope, I get the ole canvas bag approach. Nice work!!!

Creative. I've seen a wood elevator, to move wood into a living room wood box from the basement, but never a back door like this!
Thanks for the pictures.
Happy burning.

Now that's some 'BIG PIMPING'

Great idea!!

Since you seems to have enough clearance from the insert, I'd put a curtain in front of the wood cove (in the room) and close it while you open the door loading the wood. That can help cut down the cold air coming into the room.

Anyway...very nice storage. I envy you!!

Cheers.....Som

I like it, I wanted to something like that with a closest we have in our family room that backs up to the garage. My wife says no, we need the closet. She never has enough closest space.

I did the same thing several years ago. Love it I also pass my ash bucket through there to keep the mess down. Enjoy.

Good idea & very nicely done!
It's hard to tell in the pics, but considering your avatar I'd guess that's gyproc covering the enclosure? Rigid foam sandwiched btwn gyproc on the door?
I'm sure not the code guy, but to anyone looking to make a similar pass-thru, check your codes on seperations btwn garage & living space so you know how it'd have to be constructed.
Might I suggest a thick strip of weatherstripping on the door to eliminate any drafts & any exhaust/fumes from the garage entering the house?

midwestcoast said:
Good idea & very nicely done!
It's hard to tell in the pics, but considering your avatar I'd guess that's gyproc covering the enclosure? Rigid foam sandwiched btwn gyproc on the door?
I'm sure not the code guy, but to anyone looking to make a similar pass-thru, check your codes on seperations btwn garage & living space so you know how it'd have to be constructed.
Might I suggest a thick strip of weatherstripping on the door to eliminate any drafts & any exhaust/fumes from the garage entering the house?

The garage side of the box is plywood, and the the interior of it is stone/masonry. The door is rigid foam insulation sandwiched between 2 sheets of plywood. I'm not sure if it meets code, but I'm not worried about it. And there is weatherstripping to seal the door, it's just hard to see.

Nice. If it were mine I'd probably cover the door with a fire barrier layer on the inside, but yeah, small potatoes I guess.

Nice. Not many do that any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.