String trimmer choices?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Well, my weed-eater gave up the ghost. So who likes what, for tall grass but very little brush cutting.Price range of about $300, easy starting, 4-stroke might be nice if not too weighty.

If I where looking it would be a stright shaft that you could up grade later to a pole pruner.

smokinjay said:
If I where looking it would be a stright shaft that you could up grade later to a pole pruner.

What Jay said^

Buddy of mine just picked up a Stihl FS90 with the 4 mix motor. It handles all the attachments. 299.99

I am using an Echo SRM-230 279.00 I have a separate pole saw

Shindiawa stihl echo are my choices i hsve a redmax 42cc but the jury is still out i havent run but 2 or 3 tanks through it but the power is awsome but at $550 its out of your price range. I have a stihl 4mix backpack blower and like that 4stroke design just mix gas and oil like your 2stroke nothing new to do. with string trimmers i have found that a few extra dollars on a quality product saves a lot of headache down the road

Beetle-Kill said:
Well, my weed-eater gave up the ghost. So who likes what, for tall grass but very little brush cutting.Price range of about $300, easy starting, 4-stroke might be nice if not too weighty.
Why a four stroke?

What a beautiful day, and I'm in the office again. The 4-stroke idea is mainly for the wife, it'll be her trimmer. If she doesn't have to mess with pre-mix fuel, I'll be a lot happier. Anybody use a Stilh 128L? Or am I thinking husky 128L? She wants a small push mower as well, mabey I'll get a package deal. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks, JB

southbound said:
Used a Stihl 85 today with the handles and strap...Love that thing easy on the back.........

I have had the same for the past 7 years and love it. Everything else I've owned has been a pain in the butt. The Stihl starts easy and is comfortable to use for hours.

Hey BG, I've got a Stilh dealer about 6 blocks away. The 85, think my burly mountain girl could handle it?

wood spliter said:
Mix a gallon of gas and you would be good for a while.
Ja, I keep my straight gas in 5 gallon cans so the wife wouldn't be wanting to liift those. The small cans are for mix. That said, Hell would freeze over before the wife ever used the string trimmer.

Beetle-Kill said:
Hey BG, I've got a Stilh dealer about 6 blocks away. The 85, think my burly mountain girl could handle it?

Yes, it's easy to use. The pro line is better balanced and low vibration. The FS85 is now the model FS90 . I have the handlebars and the double harness because I have a lot to trim. Using just the simple shoulder strap gets tiring pretty quick if you have more than an hour of trimming to do. If you have a smaller amount, the FS90R may suffice.

Thanks for all the input! This is so funny, I informed the Boss that she'd have to wait until the 12th for a new trimmer. The 12th is the "Stilh Day" at the dealership. Promo day, have the rep's there and BB-Q, plus discounts. Did I mention discounts? The guy I talked to had very little info. on the trimmers, but he was upfront about it, so I'll wait until Tues. to talk to a tech. to pre-plan for the 12th. The funny part is she gently let me have it, for not having a new trimmer and mower at her disposal by Tues. This was in the "red zone" on the gentle scale, BTW.
Sooo, the trimmer will be a Stilh. The weight of the 55's was nice, the 70 was good also, but the 90 may be pushing it for her. But I liked the 90. Soooo.... what kinda arguement can I use to go for the 70, or better yet- the 90? Or should I consider different makes/model.? She's on her own for a mower! :cheese:

I think the 90 is the lowest model that you can go that can handle the larger attachments if you want that option. It is the start of their pro line.

We just went through the same decision making process and we went with the STIHL FS90 - and am very glad that we did.

It may weigh slightly more than the lower models - but to me it felt like less as it seemed better balanced.

I've used this trimmer several times now and absolutely LOVE it !!!! It starts up very quick and has plenty of power.

I highly recommend going with the 90 over the 70 or 56.

The 4-mix engine is very efficient and its not stinky like most small engines.

PLEASE DO NOTE!!!!! even though this is a 4 cycle engine - IT STILL USES THE SAME 50:1 FUEL MIX AS ALL OTHER STIHL PRODUCTS. My dealer recommended the full synthetic oil to mix with the gas. I think its stihl's 'ultra' mix oil. DO NOT PUT STRAIGHT GAS IN THIS TRIMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, because my wife wanted to use it, we wanted something that would start easy - and the 90 started easier than they lower models with their "easy to start" feature. The dealer explained that it was because it had a decompression valve or something.

Good luck!!!

Thanks, Flint. That is very useful info. Sounds like we're in the same situation. Lucky for me, the "Boss" has that day off, so she gets to make the final call on the trimmer. The easy starting of the trimmer is probably the biggest benefit. Question- did you go with a sling or harness? or are they a waste of money? PM if you wish, thanks. JB

The harness makes a huge difference if you are weedeating for more than an hour at a time. If you go with the FS90 (handlebars) instead of the FS90R (stirrup handle) I would strongly recommend it.

We went with the regular handle type - not the long handle bars - I think those are primarily for trimming large areas - like interstate medians or huge steep banks, etc.

The regular handle allows you to maneuver more quickly around small objects - and is probably the best choice for a regular home property situation.

Mine came with a free sling and safety glasses. The sling works well, I use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.