1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stringy wood sucks. Is hickory a stringy wood to split?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by wahoowad, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f3cbboy

f3cbboy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    rockland county, NY
    i am glad i read this thread - i have a pile of this stuff that requires much work to split. My 8 lb maul bounces off but i get it started with a splitting axe and then use the wedges. is it worth leaving this stuff sit for another year in rounds that are bucked about 16" long and anywhere from 12 - 15 " in diameter?? Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Loft try and not split down the middle...come in about 3-4" for the outside diameter and work it that way. It's not as neat looking but it works...btw that's the way we work elm by hand up here...that's stringy too.
  3. WOODBUTCHER

WOODBUTCHER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pomfret, CT
    I'd try to split it while it's frozen, hickory is tuff stuff on a maul and your back.
    When I split it green, I have to run the splitter ram all the way through on just about every chunk.
    I wish it split like red oak.......

WB
  4. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    2 years later and I am finally burning some of this stuff. It burns really, really good!
  5. rphurley

rphurley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central/Eastern CT
    Split lots of Hickory. I'm not sure what type but it seems stringy to me. Heavy as heck too, but worth every bit of sweat!
  6. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I'm on my last 20 rounds of over 3+ cords of elm (beggars can't be choosers!) and anybody man enough to split it with a maul gets my respect. It's hard enough with a splitter, not to mention time consuming because you have to run the wedge all the way through every split to tear the fibers apart. I didn't realize how easy splitting could be until I got into a few pieces of soft maple. That stuff splits itself just looking at the wedge.

The only thing I have to help split elm is doing when the temperature is around 0.
  7. f3cbboy

f3cbboy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    rockland county, NY
    I’d try to split it while it’s frozen, hickory is tuff stuff on a maul and your back.
    When I split it green, I have to run the splitter ram all the way through on just about every chunk.
    I wish it split like red oak.......

WB

Thanks WB - i got this stuff last summer and it was a bear - i'll try to take care of it now while it is still frozen. I can't believe how much i have come to know about tree id in the last couple of months. thanks again
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.