stripper for synthetic gunstock finishes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
some time much later this winter, after I have my new wood heat system running, I want to do an oil finish on a couple of riflestocks (one a Ruger, one a T/C) that have some sort of synthetic varnish that merely laughed at the other things I previously tried, like CitrusStrip and even Easy-Off (which has stripped most wood finishes that I have dealt with that did not respond to other stripping agents).

Any suggestions of something that will work with a minimum of awful fumes? I know that the methylene chloride stuff like ZipStrip may work, but I really despise being around the fumes from that

thanks

If you don't want meth chloride, I'd hit them with a card scraper. You'll also want a burnisher to form the hook.

Sandpaper would work also, but I just don't like the stuff.

Matt

Oops, sorry.
I saw the word stripper and neglected to read the rest.
Carry on.

Hogwildz said:
Oops, sorry.
I saw the word stripper and neglected to read the rest.
Carry on.

:)

Given that both makers are still in business, I'd consider contacting their technical departments and asking for advice - likely it's a question they've gotten before and could give you a better answer since they know just what sort of goop they were using to finish the stocks...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.