Stronger BTU pellets or propane?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You will get only marginal improvements in BTU by choosing a different pellet. Yes, they do vary some - but probably not enough to heat or not heat your home. The biggest difference I notice is in the amount of ash for hours / pounds burned. That can vary significantly, and makes some more expensive pellets worthwhile.

Reactions: bags
I'd burn what keeps the most money in my pocket or simply what works out best considering all factors. Simple math. To be honest how can anyone really verify that the bags of pellets that say they push slightly more BTU's actually do so? Maybe just a Band AId on a boo boo placebo.

I think Wilbur hit the nail on the head. But playing the Devil's Advocate spending more cash isn't always better either. Sets are $219 per ton here and it would be a hard sell paying $100 bucks more per ton for anything better. Softwoods included.

Status
Not open for further replies.