Strongest, safest 6" chimney liner and installation details?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
Alright, so it's looking like I am going to take the plung and upgrade to a Regency I2400 Insert. I just measured the base of the fireplace opening to the top of the terracotta liner within the chimney flue -- 15'2" -- 15' flex liner is more than enough and I will still have between 18" and 19" left over (considering the height of the insert is just under 21"). I'm pretty sure my math is right there haha.

I am looking to get the safest liner possible, everything I have said says get the insulation before you install (so I am going to listen), and looking for the best price around. I tried to talk to TheHeatElement, I have heard he gives the best prices... (free shipping?)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Requirements:
Strongest 6" Flex in 15' length
Insert Connection
Insulation

I already have a 13x13 terracotta chimney cap similar to this: http://www.newenglandchimneysweeps.com/images/rain_cap.gif
Can I just get the flat top plate like this: http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/images/flattopplate.JPG
and put my cap over the top of that to make something like this (minus the hinges): http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/images/smdeluxecaphinged.jpg
It would save me a good bit of money to just do a little fabrication, maybe cut down the flat top plat a little so it fits just inside the chimney cap I already have?

What is the total angle that a flexible liner can turn and how quickly can it turn?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Kevin

Not gonna touch on everything here, but your liner kit will come with the top plate & a smaller cap.
If you want to use the existing cap, turn the top plate over, cut the liner flush with the top of the plate,
& cut & bend the plate to fit your flue tile.
Your cap will fit over it.
The liner will be supported by the insert & it shouldn't be able to move once the Flex-to-rigid
adapter is installed on the liner & anchored to the top of the insert.

Alright, personally I like the look of the full 13x13 chimney cap better than the 13x13 adapter down to the 6" smaller cap. Do you think it would be worth buying the top plate and the insert adapter separately? Could save on not buying the 6" cap...

Anyone know where to go for the strongest, safest 6" flex? like above, only need 15' section of it and want 15' of insulation to go along with it.

Thanks

I want to do almost the same thing! I bought my liner from Woodstock with my stove. I want to use the same chimney cap that I have, which is a really nice one. It has two levels--the upper one for the main 8" and a lower one for the exhaust from the space between the double wall chimney pipe. The two levels are separated by a piece of sheet metal. What I also want to do is preserve the ability to allow heat to escape from between the two walls of the current piping. This idea was proposed by the fellow at Woodstock and I think it's a good one.

Since I have not seen the liner kit, not sure just how to accomplish this. From the photos of the kit, it appears that the top plate closes off the vents for the double wall pipe. Has anyone done an installation that allowed the double wall pipe to continue to vent? BTW, I did buy the insulation kit for the liner. Am hoping someone who has done such an install will provide hints as to how to go about installing all the top side stuff while trying NOT to fall off the roof! That's going to be the main challenge!

BTW, nice photos k3c4forlife!

I have been in contact with HeatElement, want to see if he can give me a price for 15' of the flex rather than 20'

What do you guys think about these kits?
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-X-15-FLEX-KIN...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518f99d950
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260501767167&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I would still need to buy an insulation kit to go along with either of these. I dont want to have to buy the silly little 6" rain cap. I want to use my 13x13 cap. Much more manly haha...

What is the maximum that a flexible liner can flex and do thinner liners have the ability to flex quicker?

I am trying to determine if I need an offset adapter to connect the top of the insert to the bottom of the liner. The center of the flue sits back from the front of the fireplace about 11". I need to make it into the chimney flue about 5" further back that than, 8" above the top of the stove. That's a pretty big offset that I need to make up pretty quickly.

Thanks,
Kevin

If you have to connect the liner to the appliance at an angle, they do make aplliance connectors for flex that can connect at up to a 45 degree angle.

My first liner I used flex from chimneylinerinc.com.

Second liner I used Duraliner, more expensive but insulated and heavy duty as hell. Love it and would do it again.

I see that they have the 30* and 45* adapters. Theyre $50.00 though. Anyone know if it looks like I am going to need it? I think its going to be close...

Is there any possibility of going rigid for this install? If you want tough, that would be my first choice with a flex tail to connect the stove.

Its gonna be tough with whatever liner I try to use. Figured I would make it as easy as possible with the flex. I just want to make sure that if there ever were to be a chimney fire, it wouldnt get passed into the mortar and into the attic. The masonry isnt the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.