Struck Magnatrac (or other crawler/dozer type vehicles): Opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At my work we have a lot of UTVs around and I frequently use a wide range of them for firewood related stuff. Nearly any UTV model would handle the terrain in the OP's pictures with ease, and they'd be able to haul a decent amount of rounds in the bed or even skid long heavy logs out. Check out this video of me in a rather well used Cub Cadet Volunteer hauling a load of oak up a very steep hill. I hauled the whole oak tree out of this guy's yard using the vehicle. This link is to my google photo page so you can see it in action.

https://goo.gl/photos/Hf2kV6EQiFG3ZYhn7

You can put a plow on it or just about anything else you want. It'll easily go 25+mph and has a very low low gear to help getting the heavy loads up the big hills.

There are a lot of other UTV models that can do similar work - they're all light enough that they don't get stuck often or tear up the terrain to badly. And they're a lot of fun when the chores are done.

When I did a search a while back, the cheapest UTVs were in the $7k range, which got you something pretty bare bones.

I got a quote from the company. You get the dozer kit, a blade with bucket (handles about 200 lbs of material), grouser tracks, and a rear drawbar for $4200, plus $330 shipping. They let you pay with Paypal Credit, which is 18 months 0% interest (and 19.99% retroactively if you go over 18 months).

It would be fun to have a UTV and I did consider for a while, but I don't see that I can get as much work done with it as with one of these machines. At double the cost.

I got a quote from the company. You get the dozer kit, a blade with bucket (handles about 200 lbs of material), grouser tracks, and a rear drawbar for $4200, plus $330 shipping. They let you pay with Paypal Credit, which is 18 months 0% interest (and 19.99% retroactively if you go over 18 months).

Do you get an engine and drive train with this kit?

Not trying to pick on any particular brand or style, but there ain't no way an old school Ford (8N, 9N), or old 2wd international utility tractor would be in my stable for use on those hills. They were notorious for walking over backwards on flat ground, let alone with the help of a steep angle. Some would work fine (it is based off of where the drawbar attaches to the underneath, like the old Case tractors) and some don't.
From what I can see, I think I would be in the camp of a 4wd ATV/UTV with a small sled or trailer.

Reactions: D8Chumley
My brother has very hilly territory in NH and uses a Honda Foreman ATV with a log arch for hauling trees out of the woods. His arch has a rotary joint on the hitch bar that substantially reduces the chance of rollover as there is not torque transmitted between the ATV and the arch. As I stated in an earlier post, IMHO high center of gravity equipment should not be used on slopes, it is way to easy to roll over. A few years back VT identified tractor roll overs in the farm section as a major issue to the point where there were state funds to retrofit older tractors with roll bars. A tractor in general for moving wood around in hilly territory is the wrong tool for the job

Reactions: ian105 and Jags
Do you get an engine and drive train with this kit?
Yep. Comes with a Briggs and Stratton 250cc engine (11.5 lb ft of torque). The transmission is belt drive closer to the engine and chain drive closer to the tracks. Geared way down.

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Buy it and do an extensive review.
Yeah, I guess I have. :) I suppose I just have different priorities and am probably being overly cautious. But all the advice is much appreciated. Helps me feel like I have considered all aspects of it.

Anyway, if I end up getting it, I'll be sure to document the build process and let everyone know how it handles what I want to do with it.

I have a 1984 Zetor 5245...4WD machine, with loader, and I put a Wallenstein 3PT winch on it. I winch trees out from 150' away....hard to tell from pictures, but I think I have steeper slopes than you. Winch line gets me 150' off the "road"...then I skid back to the woodshed. It works quite well. I find driving an ATV into the bush nearly impossible...and chunking, throwing 10', walking, throwing, walking, throwing...feasible. I paid $6500 for the tractor/loader (with about 980 hours) in 1998. I've had to do a little work on it, but mostly because of lack of use (throw bearing seized to the shaft....had to split). The winch was about $2200 I think a few years ago? It has been great. More money than the tracked machine but perhaps more versatile. I was taught that old tractors will just run and run and run....seems to be true. I have about 1250 hours now....nearly 20 years later...she sits way to much. Use it as a man lift (10' up) with pallet forks in the bucket....and firewood.

This just popped up!

MAGNATRAC Compact Crawler Tractors Starting at only $3,995 for a Limited Time! Wheeled tractors are great, but tractors with tracks have better traction, flotation and if you need to dig; thereÂ’s nothing better! Do you have a good solution for skidding logs, cleaning horse stalls, small landscaping jobs and excavating/grading jobs in tight areas? If notÂ…theyÂ’ve got one! Check out the MAGNATRAC Compact Crawler Tractors, Made in the USA for over 45 years! Starting at $3,995 until April 15th this Spring, they pretty much have a solution for any budget. As a special offer to My Tractor Forum readers; theyÂ’re offering a FREE Planning Kit with DVD. Make sure to mention promo code: MTF316 on their website or call toll free: 1-877-828-8323 today!

http://struckcorp.com/mtf316

Well, I ordered it. They are having a promotion up until April 15, so who knows how long the back log will be.

I upgraded the shocks and springs on my pick-up so I can haul the 900 lb pallet home from the freight depot. Needed an excuse to do that, as I had a "low rider" thing going when hauling a bed full of oak splits back home this past season. Just wore out after 15 years, I suppose.

Everything comes unpainted. I can't bring myself to paint it all "Cat Yellow", so I am probably going to go with some combo of paint colors from a tractor. Leaning towards the gray/vermillion of older Ford tractors at the moment.

I'll post more to this thread (or create a new one) to document the build process and give some impressions as time goes on.

Please feel free to create a new "build" thread for the machine. I think it will be better serving in the long run.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I got it. Right now it is currently scattered across the floor of my garage, waiting until I get enough time to sort things into piles and do inventory, then I need to get started painting.

I have taken a few pictures, but I was saving them for the new thread.

If anyone has tips or links to a guide for painting bare steel, I'll take them. Current thoughts are to use tractor/implement paint, which goes on pretty easily with a brush or roller. I don't have the time/money/interest in setting up a spray booth.

Reactions: Buzz Saw
Status
Not open for further replies.