Struggling on what to do with new construction...please help,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully agree with RickBlaine. I have custom built homes before and I'm about to do it again. Completely SKIP the fireplace altogether. Do NOT have the builder put one in. I would consider having the builder run a gas line to the "fireplace site" but tell him you simply cannot afford the upgrade and are not having any fireplace. Then after you have moved in, simply get the wood or gas stove of your choice. I have (years ago) put in my own and if I can do it, certainly you can do it. You will need to follow the instructions and you will need a reciprocal saw (saws all), extension cord, flashings, ladder, etc. Perhaps a buddy to help you. But I've even cut through the roof and did a great job of it (back then and not difficult if you have a composition roof). If you don't want to do it, you can have someone else install it, but your builder is upcharging you an absurd amount. Don't let him put in anything. My builder tried to tell me his furnace guy sells Heat-n-Glow fireplaces and that's what I would have to have and I explained to him that it was NOT acceptable and NOT negotiable and I will have my Pacific Energy Super 27 wood stove that I want OR he will not be installing it. I'm getting my PES27!

It is your money. Spend it how you want. But I'd wait until the day after closing and then arrange for what you want to be installed internally (no exterior chase except on top of the roof to the height you need). The $3400 for the chase construction isn't a bad price when it includes the fireplace. Find out what it would cost for JUST the chase without the Lennox or Brentwood. Have it built to your specs for the Brentwood and either the Builder agrees or you omit the option altogether (temporarily).

So I've been humbled today and not really sure how to proceed or if this is about what I should have been expecting.

So the builder came back and said it was going to be $4500 more for the Brentwood ZC versus the standard lennox superior BR42 ($3400 option including chase construction, etc). I was definitely expecting an increase but not really expecting to pay almost $8,000 for a fireplace that I won't be using as a primary heat source.

What do you guys think? I could afford the Brentwood but as with anyone building a new house, we are already higher than we had planned for, so another almost $5000 is a little tougher to swallow.

At first I could not quite understand the huge price difference but after checking the two units the Brentwood is quite a bit more expensive. http://www.choosefireplacesandstoves.com/Fireplaces/Wood-Burning-Fireplaces/Sizes/Extra-Large/ However, the problem is more that the Superior is really just a cheap, builder grade steelbox than the Brentwood costing a lot (~$3600 same link). Add in a better flue system for the Brentwood, outside air kit, a venting kit and you are almost at that difference you were quoted. Still, try to get a more detailed quote, they may charge a bit too much for the chase IMHO.

What if I try the lennox superior for a few burning seasons to make sure this is what I want, then go the route of buying a insert to put inside of the ZC superior unit? Like a mid size Napoleon...how much is that going to run me down the road for the unit, pipe, etc.?

Please don't do that. Putting an insert in a ZC fireplace is a contentious topic here and should be avoided if possible because it is a potential safety hazard. Not to mention that you never know if the fireplace was installed in a way that it can hold 400+ lb of steel. You would also be looking at adding another ~$4000 for insert, liner and install - not really the savings you were expecting.

If you want a woodburning appliance for heating I would either go with the ZC fireplace or tell you builder to skip it completely for a (small) rebate and install a woodstove later. A woodstove installation will be about $4000 to $5000 depending which model you chose. If you go with the ZC fireplace I would pressure your builder a bit to maybe get another unit and shop around a bit more. The Brentwood is kind of on the small side and not really that cheap either from what I have seen.

Get a free standing wood stove. Make a nice stone hearth, it looks as good as a fireplace and heats much better. Open the door, it is a fireplace.

I fully agree with RickBlaine. I have custom built homes before and I'm about to do it again. Completely SKIP the fireplace altogether. Do NOT have the builder put one in. I would consider having the builder run a gas line to the "fireplace site" but tell him you simply cannot afford the upgrade and are not having any fireplace. Then after you have moved in, simply get the wood or gas stove of your choice. I have (years ago) put in my own and if I can do it, certainly you can do it. You will need to follow the instructions and you will need a reciprocal saw (saws all), extension cord, flashings, ladder, etc. Perhaps a buddy to help you. But I've even cut through the roof and did a great job of it (back then and not difficult if you have a composition roof). If you don't want to do it, you can have someone else install it, but your builder is upcharging you an absurd amount. Don't let him put in anything. My builder tried to tell me his furnace guy sells Heat-n-Glow fireplaces and that's what I would have to have and I explained to him that it was NOT acceptable and NOT negotiable and I will have my Pacific Energy Super 27 wood stove that I want OR he will not be installing it. I'm getting my PES27!

It is your money. Spend it how you want. But I'd wait until the day after closing and then arrange for what you want to be installed internally (no exterior chase except on top of the roof to the height you need). The $3400 for the chase construction isn't a bad price when it includes the fireplace. Find out what it would cost for JUST the chase without the Lennox or Brentwood. Have it built to your specs for the Brentwood and either the Builder agrees or you omit the option altogether (temporarily).
Such a good post, it's worth repeating...

I'd type my own advice, but I'd just be repeating what she said.

Have you made a decision yet? I'm in the very same situation but the deadline for my decision is looming... next week. I'd love to know what you decided.

Hi RRMM,

Just like the other thread in which you posted, the OP here was a drive-by. Total post count = 7, and they haven't been around in 6 weeks. For the best response, you may want to start your own thread. Good luck!

Hi RRMM,

Just like the other thread in which you posted, the OP here was a drive-by. Total post count = 7, and they haven't been around in 6 weeks. For the best response, you may want to start your own thread. Good luck!
Thanks again. I hope I don't end up being a drive by! If we install one of these, I will probably be addicted. I've been on here for HOURS over the past three or four days, probably 6 today alone. Of course, I guess many people stop once they make their decision. I wonder how many people you have helped over the years?! Blessings on you!

Hi RRMM,

Having done this before and am about to build again, I am going with a Pacific Energy Super 27. I will also have a gas furnace with electric heat pump, which I don't plan to use once I'm living in the new house full time, but I have to put it in to get my building permit faster (and I'll get a rebate for almost the entire cost). I am having the trees bucked and stacked so that when I get there next time (either July or December) I can buy/rent a log splitter and start getting them split and stacked so they can season. I won't be living at the house for a year (I live in Nevada and am building in Oregon) or so.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd tell the builder NO to a fireplace or ZC and then once you move in, I'd install a woodstove. If you burn with the door open, it's a fireplace. I'm not getting the blower with mine because I have ceiling fans throughout. That may be a mistake, but from what I've read on this site in other threads, it seems like it'll be okay. I don't want to get blasted out of the living room, so I went with the Super 27 ChimneySweepOnline made the suggestion. I like my bedrooms cooler and so this should work for me.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi RRMM,

Having done this before and am about to build again, I am going with a Pacific Energy Super 27. I will also have a gas furnace with electric heat pump, which I don't plan to use once I'm living in the new house full time, but I have to put it in to get my building permit faster (and I'll get a rebate for almost the entire cost). I am having the trees bucked and stacked so that when I get there next time (either July or December) I can buy/rent a log splitter and start getting them split and stacked so they can season. I won't be living at the house for a year (I live in Nevada and am building in Oregon) or so.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd tell the builder NO to a fireplace or ZC and then once you move in, I'd install a woodstove. If you burn with the door open, it's a fireplace. I'm not getting the blower with mine because I have ceiling fans throughout. That may be a mistake, but from what I've read on this site in other threads, it seems like it'll be okay. I don't want to get blasted out of the living room, so I went with the Super 27 ChimneySweepOnline made the suggestion. I like my bedrooms cooler and so this should work for me.

Good luck with your decision.
That's a beautiful unit! I just googled it. At this point, with the way the house is designed, we would not have room for a wood stove. The point you bring up about being able to burn with the door open is a good one, but I just can't change the whole configuration anymore. The whole house is built (studs and OSB), the windows are in, the plumbing is done, the electric just got put in, the heat ducts are hanging down all over the place, and the builder is awaiting my FP decision. He was going to put in a regular ZC FP and after researching a little, I discovered how inefficient they were, and well, here I am. We are leaning heavily toward the Kozy Heat z42, but are concerned that it will make our main LR too hot. Looking into ducting now. The Kozy Heat distributor is coming out Tuesday to take a look and make recommendations. THank you so much for your input, jillybeanisme.

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for a woodstove insert. Where's begreen?

Most that I know are for installation into an existing FP. Sorry, should've gone back and re- read the OP, I guess. I was just keying off your statement about wanting to actually get heat out of it.

OK I AM BUSTED.
Width of my fireplace opening is over twice the depth. The height is right at double the depth. Also it has a very narrow throat and a big 12 inch smoke shelf behind the throat, the back wall angles in 9 inches and the side walls are angled, all according to the Rumford design.
May I have your permission to call it a "Modified Rumford." I built it on the Rumford design, I made it a little deeper than a true Rumford so it would hold a little more wood. We were running it last night, on a 36 degree night, due to the angled back walls of the fireplace the thing just about blew us out of the living room.

I apologize to all forum members it is not a true Rumford it is a modified Rumford thank you jharkin for correcting my egregious error.

Last edited:
OK I AM BUSTED.
I apologize to all forum members it is not a true Rumford it is a modified Rumford thank you jharkin for correcting my egregious error.
Relax. jharkin's post was merely informational, not a criticism of you or your fireplace.

...we forgot the lessons of the narrow throat and try to fix smoking by just making the flue too big which actually makes the problem of cold air falling down into the firebox worse!
Not as bad as pre-Rumford stuff, tho! A fat man in a red suit could literally crawl down my chimneys, and I find this common to all 18th-century houses, at least around here.

OMG I was not trying to critize, jsut add more on what the principles of a rumford are.

Sorry for offending, post deleted & my commentary retracted.

Dead thread since May, not sure why it has been resurrected.

Yes, not sure why it got deleted. It was very informative Jeremy. I can make it visible again if that is ok.

It obviously offended Simon, so best left alone.

It obviously offended Simon, so best left alone.

Why not open a new thread about Rumford fireplaces? Will be non-contentious and has the advantage of not burying the info in an unrelated thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.