Stubborn Harman Invincible T Airflow issue - solved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TStark

Nov 23, 2014
NE CT
Short answer - Found most A082 - 7021-xxxx .95A 3000rpm 70-75 cfm Fasco replacement combustion blowers have an insufficiently sized impeller.

Background..

Had my Invincible T since '95

2 1/3 ton year, always well maintained and produced a nice light, fluffy grey ash.

Last season my combustion blower finally seized after 18 seasons.

Had ordered a replacement from an online vendor that indicated this unit was a match for this suffix motor.
Seemed to work ok but about that time the auger feed tube had developed a crack, and was altering the airflow as well, but the extra air was at least getting a complete burn.

This season pulled and welded the weldment's feeder tube that had worn and fatigued due to some seasons with a mildly compromised hopper door gasket and hopper door misalignment (one can hear the leaking airflow with ones ear up to the seal)

Upon reassembly and startup, flame was somewhat lazy , more especially after some dark ash developed in the burn pot.
Dark smelly ash coated the heat exchanger very quickly, a touch goey near the combustion blower.

Went all thought the structure and cleaning and looking for air leaks, door was excellent as were all other seals, burnpot, blower, etc.

I had on-hand a replacement combustion impeller but hadn't installed it in the replacement blower, just used the one that came with it installed..

After fighting this for a few weeks this season, compared the impellers, and they are indeed sized differently.

The Harman part indicated is almost 4.94" vs 4.67, a healthy 1/8" longer blades. There was my missing cfm.

Attaching images in case this help others solve these typically robust stoves.

Attachments

• DSCF9638.JPG
    DSCF9638.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF9639.JPG
    DSCF9639.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF9640.JPG
    DSCF9640.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF9641.JPG
    DSCF9641.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: Big papa
I think I saw a thread about someone else with combustion issues ... hopefully they catch this. Great that you compared the impellers:)

Status
Not open for further replies.