Stuck Duravent cleanout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
I am wondering if anyone has a trick for removing a stuck Duravent clean out plug? It will turn, but will not come out.

1. Needs to be turned enough, but not too much. Turn it too far, the tabs lock back in.
2. Tap it with a small hammer, and a punch or screwdriver, if necessary.
3. Be patient, keep working it a little bit back and forth.

Lol. That happened to me. The grease they use to lubricant the seal dries up and acts like glue. I almost pulled out an oil filter wrench to get it off but working it by hand back and forth until it finally loosened up to be pulled strait down.

Once you do get if off , clean the ash out under running water. Remove the glue...err grease with WD-40 and a rag. Don't use anything abrasive. Apply a light coating of Vaseline jelly to the sealing area before putting it back on.

Not what you want to hear but....If you can turn it, it's not stuck. You do however have to allign the "lock and key" grooves so that it will come out. Keep twisting back and forth and it will come off. Let us know when you got it off.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

I find that using a couple of pieces of that rubberized shelf/draw liner worked wonders for my Duravent "T" cleanout cover. It allows you to grip the cover.
My cover has no greases or lubricants on it. It's surprising just how little you turn it to unlock it, however I still need to very-very carefully work the cover down slowly.

One last thought: I used a little swipe of the wife's old nail polish to mark a line on the pipe and "T" cover "seam" before I pulled the cover off so I could align the pieces when starting to reassemble.

......One last thought: I used a little swipe of the wife's old nail polish to mark a line on the pipe and "T" cover "seam" before I pulled the cover off so I could align the pieces when starting to reassemble.

Yep, good idea. I used a scratch awl and made 2 small arrows pointing at each other..

On my old 3" vent the cleanout would jam itself tight.

Oil filter wrench worked great to get it moving.
Then just align the tits and wiggle it out.

Once apart a bit of anti-seize keeps it moving when you want to.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.