Stuck Handle on Osburn 2000 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanvet

Feb 16, 2014
Breckenridge, Colorado
Hello

First time posting here - but I utilized all the excellent experience and knowledge on here before purchasing an Osburn 2000 fireplace insert last April. Had it professionally installed and have been extremely happy with it up until now. In the last month the door handle had been getting slightly more difficult to move. Now it has abruptly become very difficult to move and it is approaching completely seized. I have removed the door, and then the cotter pin and door stop from the insert and it moves about 20 degrees total - but that's with a lot of oil and some effort on my part. I have contacted the original online seller (osburn dealer - Osburnwoodstoves.com - No response at this time - honestly I was not too impressed with this seller). I also contacted SBI and they would like to ship out a new latch and handle - however - I don't think the old handle can be removed - certainly not by me at this time - might need a machine shop. I am concerned the threads may need to be re-tapped and I certainly don't want to trash them in my attempts to remove the handle. I had noted someone else had this issue on this forum with a Osburn 2000 stove (I knew this going into the purchase - but it seemed like an isolated issue) and they got great service from SBI.

I intentionally bought an Osburn over many other inserts based on the rave reviews here and elsewhere - and what I was assuming was going to be a great product with great service - still waiting on the latter

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks much

Sean

Last edited:
Here is the inside and outside view of the handle itself. To be more clear - the "bolt" in question - is the actual handle also and it is threaded through the door to create the handle. The inside latch has already been removed and was kept in place with a cotter pin.

Thanks

Sean

Attachments

• Handle.jpg
    Handle.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 271
  • handle 2.jpg
    handle 2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 249
Update - SBI is shipping out a new door as this handle seems mostly seized and cannot be removed from the door. After taking the door off and putting some serious muscle and oil into the door handle I was able to get it to move somewhat - but I am still unable to remove the handle - So the company will be shipping a new door (with handle) to me. At least I can use the stove until the new door arrives - I get very stressed when my stove is down.

Sean

Let's hear it for SBI! It's good to see a company today, back up their product.

Reactions: Sully
Update - I am currently Very Unhappy with SBI customer service.

Unfortunately UPS damaged the box from SBI and actually cracked the door in half (somewhat unbelievable how much force it would have taken to break the door) . The box was labeled fragile - but has obviously been damaged and taped over the damaged areas by UPS prior to its arrival to me.

Unfortunately SBI customer service seems to have evaporated at this time. I cannot not file a claim with UPS until I get an actual value from SBI (but it was shipped out as a warranty item to me without a stated value).

Unfortunately I am very unhappy with SBI at this time as three phone calls and three emails over the past week have gone unanswered.

I realize the latest issues is certainly not SBI's fault - but I again cannot file a claim with UPS until they at least give me an actual value for the door. I also will eventually need them to ship another door to me as the one I have is literally cracked in half.

As a business owner myself I realize the importance of client service and at this time SBI is failing miserably.

Sean

I have an Osburn 2200 freestanding stove and my handle would become tight at times. I poured some powered graphite onto the threads and worked it back and forth. It seems to have alleviated the problem although I imagine I will have to do it again in the future. Around here graphite can be bought at farm stores as many farmers will mix graphite with their seed to help lubricate planter parts.

I doubt oil or grease (other than high temp moly grease) would last very long on a stove and may contribute to further seizing when it dried out due to the heat.

I had the same problem with mine and I got them to send me a whole brand new door. You right its siezed up and you will do more damage to the threads trying to get it free. Call SBI again and demand a new door , tell them a new latch wont solve the problem because more than likely the threads in the door will become damged. Once you get your new door go to the hardware store and get some anti-sieze graphite paste, I think i found it by the car batteries anyways back the handle out and apply this paste to the threads, I did this and my handle has worked smoothly all year.

Finally read all post , they should make this right. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.