Stuck stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
I just set up the stove pipe for my wicked awesome super cool second hand Keystone. As I fitted all the pipe parts together (2 12" sections of 22 guage with one 90 degree elbow and a 7" to 8" thimble adapter) it looked like it was all good without resorting to the slip section that I thought I might need for that extra inch or so. WRONG!! When I tapped it all together and hooked it up, I realized it really would benefit from about 1" additional height. Without it, the pipe rising from the top of the stove is tilted a slight bit away from the wall and doesn't seat as well as it could in the stove top. I tried to take it apart to insert the slip pipe but I just plain could not budge the 12" straight section from the 90 degree elbow. I tried using a chunk of oak and tapping with a hammer but nothing. My wife suggested WD40, reasonable, but probably stinky when I light a fire and I'm not sure if that will work anyway. How to I get them 2 sections apart without damaging them?

Heating pipe up in my experience, usually is what makes them get stuck together bad in the first place.

What experience is that? I've heated pellet pipe, direct vent and in one case some single wall liner and all of them came apart. I've done it for close to a decade.

Shane said:
What experience is that? I've heated pellet pipe, direct vent and in one case some single wall liner and all of them came apart. I've done it for close to a decade.

You must be working with it while its heated, that I have never done. What I have encountered is pipe that has been in use, and heated / cooled many times. Seems to get really stuck together from that.

Lubricant might help - maybe try a bit of dish soap that can be washed off later and reduce the stink (which you will probably have anyway from it being new pipe) but I would suspect you have it "cocked" somehow - I'd try both twisting the pipes and wiggling them back and forth. Possibly try putting a long 2 x 4 into the pipe and using that to tap on the inside of the elbow?

Gooserider

4" grinder with thin metal cutting wheel cut that sucker out and get some new pipe .
why deal with something that much work I wiling to bet this would be the quickest route to solving your problems

Ps eye safety required

try picking it up and dropping it a few times. it works well. nothing to lose.

elkimmeg said:
4" grinder with thin metal cutting wheel cut that sucker out and get some new pipe .
why deal with something that much work I wiling to bet this would be the quickest route to solving your problems

Ps eye safety required
This is brand new never used 22 guage pipe painted same color as my stove, otherwise I'd agree!

stoveguy2esw said:
if just heat doesnt suffice , try a pair of strap wrenches and twist as you seperate , i use strap type oil filter wrenches to easily dissasemble my pellet vent for annual cleanings.
now that's a good idea. I spoke with Woodstock Stove yesterday to see if they had any suggestions. They agreed that their pipe fits extremely tight and said they just get a couple of strong guys and work it, pull, twist etc. I'm gonna spray WD40 on the joint, let it sit a few days and then when my wife and I get in a pissin match, we can each get on opposite ends and have at it! :vampire: When I do get it loose I can easily wipe off residual WD40 and Gooses Point that the new pipe is gonna smoke anyway is a very good one. Strap wrench..KNEW there was something I was missing. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.