stuck thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azs

Oct 2, 2012
I have a Rutland magnetic thermometer on the top of my stove. It seems to get stuck sometimes. Earlier today it was at 600 for a long time when I knew that the stove had cooled down. I took the thermometer off the stove for a moment and then put it back and the temperature only went to about 350. Is this common? Is there a particularly good magnetic thermometer that would be more reliable?

I just use oven thermometers from Wallyworld ~$4. Cut the base and top hook off with tin snips (makes em round). 2 on stovetop. 1 on pipe held by 14ga ground wire. They read +/- 25*F compared to laser thermometer. Worked fine for 4 years. A cheap alternative.

We have an old rutland too and the needle arm would bind on the case. Just bend it in or out until it rotates without touching. Our would stick at 300 and then PING it would jump to 600+

So it is okay to bend the needle back? I have a cheapo magnetic that I got from Lowes and it sticks from time to time. I thought maybe there was a certain amount of resistance that they factored in and therefore it was pre-bent and had to ride across the face of the thermo at a certain angle.
But if it's okay to bend the needle back then I guess I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.