1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

stuck thermometer

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by azs, Nov 19, 2012.

1. azs

azs New Member

I have a Rutland magnetic thermometer on the top of my stove. It seems to get stuck sometimes. Earlier today it was at 600 for a long time when I knew that the stove had cooled down. I took the thermometer off the stove for a moment and then put it back and the temperature only went to about 350. Is this common? Is there a particularly good magnetic thermometer that would be more reliable?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dougand3

dougand3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Alabama
    I just use oven thermometers from Wallyworld ~$4. Cut the base and top hook off with tin snips (makes em round). 2 on stovetop. 1 on pipe held by 14ga ground wire. They read +/- 25*F compared to laser thermometer. Worked fine for 4 years. A cheap alternative.
  3. Isaac Carlson

Isaac Carlson New Member

We have an old rutland too and the needle arm would bind on the case. Just bend it in or out until it rotates without touching. Our would stick at 300 and then PING it would jump to 600+
  4. El Finko

El Finko Member

Loc:
    Mason Dixon Line
    So it is okay to bend the needle back? I have a cheapo magnetic that I got from Lowes and it sticks from time to time. I thought maybe there was a certain amount of resistance that they factored in and therefore it was pre-bent and had to ride across the face of the thermo at a certain angle.
    But if it's okay to bend the needle back then I guess I will.
  5. Isaac Carlson

Isaac Carlson New Member

go for it. A thermometer should not bind or rub. Ours moves freely now and shows current temp.