Studded snows on AWD?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
I just traded in our minivan, which left me with 4 reasonably new studded snow tires. Our other vehicle is an AWD and could use a new set of tires before winter really sets in. The studded tires would fit. Any harm in putting those on instead of investing in a new set? Finding conflicting information on the web (imagine that!)

ID use em . But change em in spring. Install them depending on wear pattern.

You are lucky we can't even buy them here been banned from use on the roads

Definitely put them on. I don’t think you will get stuck this winter! Maybe do some ice road trucking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might hurt your ears :). I've always hated studded tires lots of folks in Maine use them around me. I dont get it as they clear the roads pretty quickly. Heck we pay enough in taxes.

What kind of AWD is it? The more "locked" it is the more concerned I'd be.

What kind of AWD is it? The more "locked" it is the more concerned I'd be.
Same here. If its a part-time AWD where the 2nd axle only engages when slippage occurs then I'd be less likely to worry. On the other hand, if its a full-time AWD like a Subaru I'd be more concerned.

Does the owner's manual address this issue?

Not an issue, folks run chains on AWD with no issues. An AWD has to have differentials between all four wheels. The only issue where too much traction is a problem is if you have differential locks and usually there is a warning to use them only in areas with marginal traction

Reactions: saewoody
So what the guys are getting at is this. Used tires are slightly different sizes. If the transmission and differentials are driving power all the time, and the tire are the same size, the system is in balance. If say, the right rear, is 1/4" taller in diameter than the left rear, the transmission and differential are mechanically making up that difference. That means some component is working overtime to keep both tires moving at the same speed.

It has nothing to do with studding or not. Just used tire wear. It would be the same concern with any tire. Will it cause a problem? Who knows. Did the engineer account for it? No clue. Only Volvo can tell you that and there is little chance they will tell you to do anything that could risk them filling a warranty issue.

My advice. Tires cheap. Car expensive. Sell the tires on craigslist and buy new snows.

I don't see how this could hurt anything as long as the tires are all the same size. Studs won't impact anything. Dry tires on pavement would be stickier than studs on anything.