Stuff burnt and stuck to the top of my Porcelin Jotul!!???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleby

Feb 16, 2008
Eastern PA
Well, while i was cleaning around the Jotul I accidentally set down what must have been a polyester towel on the top of the stove without thinking and it burnt it immediately to the top of stove. I pulled it off fast but it was too late and now I can't figure out how to get the rest of the residue off and am afraid of messing up the finish. I was able to get most off with a razor but it is still really cloudy. What can i use on the Porcelin??? It's really bugging me.

Porcelain is a really tough finish so I would think you could try several things on it; perhaps a stove dealer would have a good suggestion. For some reason I'm thinking maybe Vinegar might remove it-don't ask me why I think that, but I would think that it would be difficult to "hurt" the finish. Good luck!

Thanks so far guys. We've tried paint thinner and that wouldn't completely do it. That's what has me worried. That stuff will take EVERYTHING off.

I would try laying a ALL COTTON rag over it and heating it with a clothes iron to see if it softens any. Don't ask what I would do if that didn't work. It involves lighter fluid and a match. I am famous for taking goofy chances with stuff.

You might try getting some ceramabright (glass cooktop cleaner) and trying to polish the residue off. It is a superfine abrasive that won't scratch the finish.

It's possible, I s'pose, that your use of the razor blade left behind scores of minute scratches in the enamel finish and that's the "haze" you're looking at. I've learned many times that it's dangerous to try to clean anything I care about with something that's harder than the thing I'm wanting to clean. A steel razor blade is harder than the enamel finish on your stove. You may be able to polish it. Be gentle. Rick

Damn polyester crap. I'm wondering if acetone (nail polish remover) is a solvent for melted plastic? Maybe worth at try, but so far I like BB's suggestion. Get it warm and try to wipe it off with a -cloth- rag.

B² comes close but no cigar.

Burn it off with a LOW flame propane torch....carefully scraping with a dull putty knife. The temp should be just lower than the stove top.

Virgin poly and heat do not go well together. Ask your local firefighters why they wear natural fiber clothes. Same for pilots.

What about that Bon-a-mi overtop cleaner? Also, don't use razors!!!!! There are plastic spades used for cleaning glasstop ovens that might come in handy (in the future).

Status
Not open for further replies.