Stuffed up big time.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
I moved houses at the end of last year and i took most of firewood. See photo's. The way i stored the firewood at the new house was sort of had-hock but pretty much my oldest firewood was the last taken so in theory it was the first to get to when i burned this season (just finishing off burning in Australia.)

it was a big move i got the majority of my wood moved but had to give away ~ 10 cords (i still loose sleep over that grrrr) as the new owners didn't wan the wood in the yard.

Move on 10 months and i have been burning for the last 3 months - not the best experience as the wood was just left in heap with seasoned wood and un-seasoned wood in the same mix. I have now come to a point where i have given up - there is only a couple of weeks left of burning but its too hit and miss with the quality of the wood getting worse. I have filled the wood shed for 2018/9/20 and i have started to put the mixed wood onto pallets for next year. This is what i should have done 10 months ago but the job looked too big and i kept putting it off....

Once i started putting the wood onto pallets i found all the debris / soil from the bobcat was all stuck in the middle of the stacks - this added with the moisture which couldn't get away - causing a lot of problems this year. Hopefully next year this lot will be dry. I am also hoping keeping it uncovered it will allow the elements to wash away all the mud and leave me with nice clean dry firewood for next year.

the first few photo's are the moving the nice clean wood. There is a picture of the empty wood shed at the new house - which is now full. The last pictures are from this week - you can see the debris in the middle of the stack causing all the problems.

The wood is actually stacked on the road outside my house but as my house is the last on a no-through road it should be ok for this year. I will tidy up once all the wood has been stacked and i can start collecting again. I think i moved approx. 25 cords of wood......

WP_20151027_001.jpg WP_20151027_019.jpg WP_20151027_030.jpg WP_20160326_003.jpg IMG_20160911_113746.jpg IMG_20160911_113756.jpg IMG_20160911_113806.jpg IMG_20160911_113812.jpg

That's a lot of wood ! ! !

I can see how burning dirt may hinder efficiency. lol
There's a lesson in here someplace.
I stack the wood as I split so that lesson is already there.
Clean, dry stacks, and rotate to burn oldest first.

My lessons need to follow the long time burners so I can learn
how to do this safely, and getting further ahead like you with extra stock,
and brushing out the chimney regularly until I know how long we can safely
go without a scrub. Right now I can see the walls of the chimney still but with
a fine layer of soot. I guess that's a pretty clean start with only three months
stoving experience.

I agree that giving away 10C is painful...........

Your getting there ... moving causes chaos no matter how well planned. Adding moving the wood to the mix makes it tougher yet since you still have to work and do the unexpected fix-ups on the new house. Wood shed will work to your advantage once you get everything sorted out!

Reactions: Jeffm1
Status
Not open for further replies.