stuffing the stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
Being a rookie still with my stove i have not yet really stuffed it with wood.I add around 4 pieces of maybe 4by4 to 6by6 size wood splits on the hot coals at a time and fills my 2.6 cubic ft around half way.Since i lay my wood e/w i have had a few times that the wood after burning awhile would roll toward the glass door and smoke it up alittle.I usually see this and open up the door to push the wood back.I'm afraid if i stack it any higher the pile will get even harder to stay in place and pile up against the door causing the glass to dirty up.N/s is not easy for me to do because of the wood cuts and width the stoves wood burning area.Maybe its an art to stacking the wood just right!to preventing from falling toward the glass door.Am i making a big deal on keeping the wood from falling to the front door during the burn?and how do the wood veteran's stack their wood.

I have a simaler issue. I try and stack so it leans toward the back of he stove.... I also use a piece of steel from harmon in lieu of the after burner galss- mine kept breaking.

Hard Woods said:
I have a simaler issue. I try and stack so it leans toward the back of he stove.... I also use a piece of steel from harmon in lieu of the after burner galss- mine kept breaking.
Afterburner viewingGlass breaking??Have you had problems with yours breaking??Seems like tough glass! ! know it sure takes alot of heat.I have been carefull to keep wood away from it.

I`m also finding that it is somewhat of an "art" to stack it e/w so it settles rather than roll forward. It can be done though. Also a good idea to keep it at least 2 inches away from the glass in any event, otherwise it will still cause sooting no matter how hot you burn. But all this experimentation is fun,fun, fun,--least I find it so.

i'm leaning to pile my wood too... this morn i put a log in the wrong way and realized this stopped me from getting the most out of my firebox... i couldn't grab it to move it.... live and learn i guess.

I would split my wood in 2x4 and 2x6 size so the fire box could be filled to full capacity. I had a VC DW cat stove with side loading door . I could never see thru the smoky glass and only cleaned it once a year. I really needed to run the stove wide open to heat the house. I have a hearthstone Equinox now and i mite try to keep the glass clean .I don't think i will need to stuff the stove 5 good size splits seems to keep the house warm for 12 hours .

Welcome to the world of East to West burning. I am glad I burn North to South.
If you keep the wood about a couple inches away from the glass & make sure its good dry wood, that will solve the glass going black issue.
Of course loading E-W can make this tough.

Yeah, went through about 4 at $12 a pop. I like to stuff her full though... :)

Hard Woods said:
Yeah, went through about 4 at $12 a pop. I like to stuff her full though... :)

At the stove shop this summer I noticed that the Exception and the TL300 they had on the floor both had metal instead of the glass in front of the afterburner chamber. Looks like the glass got to be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.