Stump Gone, Now What?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Finally got a huge stump ground down, what a relief. It produced over 60 cu ft of mulch. As I was raking the area level, I noticed pockets of more mulch. Do I need to dig all that mulch out of there if I want grass to grow, or can I cover it over with soil.

Don't know but I ground a huge Tulip Poplar stump 25 years ago and close to 40 new trees popped up out of the mulch. Gave the electric company right of way crew the privilege of clearing them out a few years later.

You'll probably need to add some dirt every year for a few years to keep it level. No big deal, just a shovel here & there. 60 cu ft. - wow!!!

I'm worried that the grass won't grow through the pockets of mulch, eventually it will decompose. The area grades downward away from of the house, so its not flat.

Best would be to either remove as much as possible or till the area so it gets blended in if there isn't too much. As wood chips decompose they suck nitrogen out of the surrounding immediate area which is the very nutrient the young grass seedlings need.
Or you can reseed the spots next year.

Topdressing and a little extra starter fertilizer might work well enough too.

and yeah, (what's left of) that stump will decompose slowly possibly requiring to fill in sink holes for 5 to 10 years depending on how big a stump it is.

Last edited:
got it, that's what i thought, remove as much mulch as I can then backfill with soil.

Grass is tough. It keeps creeping into our pathways that are nothing but compacted ground stone and gravel top. With a top cover of soil grass will grow there. The mulch will decompose to soil and continue to provide a good base for the grass.

Grass is tough. It keeps creeping into our pathways that are nothing but compacted ground stone and gravel top. With a top cover of soil grass will grow there. The mulch will decompose to soil and continue to provide a good base for the grass.

all i get in those areas are weeds, clover and assorted non-natives.

I seeded a few areas after stump grinding. The grass grew in quickly. Yes we also got some weeds, mostly dandelion, but nothing overwhelming. We are rural and one is bound to get weeds almost anywhere.

You'll probably need to add some dirt every year for a few years to keep it level. No big deal, just a shovel here & there. 60 cu ft. - wow!!!
Dug all the submerged mulch out, make that 70 cu ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.