Stump removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realstone

Lord of Fire
I know, I know, use the search feature.

But I am not talking about yanking or cutting out the stump. I remember reading somewhere that you could drill holes into the stump with a wide spade bit and pour some sort of chemical into the holes and the stump would decompose much quicker. Anybody heard of this?

I used the old method (grub hoe) I dug up around the roots then the fun began, cut the roots with the grub hoe then popped it up with a bar.

zap

Attachments

• Three_picks_x165BSC3.jpg
    Three_picks_x165BSC3.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 263

But I am not talking about yanking or cutting out the stump. I remember reading somewhere that you could drill holes into the stump with a wide spade bit and pour some sort of chemical into the holes and the stump would decompose much quicker. Anybody heard of this?

Some places it is illegal to burn a stump.. Some places it isn't.. Not sure about where you live.

Ran across this product while walking through the Tractor Supply in lovely Jacksonville, NC last week. This site has a glowing review and one that is rather negative.

http://reviews.tractorsupply.com/0519/421090899/gordons-stump-remover-1-lb-reviews/reviews.htm

I tried the stuff years ago, did not work, don't waste you money or time.:cool:

I just did this myself; removed a stump. It wasn't huge and it sat on top of a big rock, so I think I got lucky. Basically dig dig dig, and cut a root as I found it. I used a reciprocating saw. By the end the blade was sooo dull , I used my axe to chop the last root off. Took a couple days due to heat and other things going on. I'll grab a pic of the stump when I get home today

Bore it as deep as you can with a spade bit in multiple places, fill them with diesel, let it soak in, repeat 3-4 times, & touch her off. A C

Call around, I got my big oak stump ground down for $50. Some of the guys that work at the tree companies do it on the side. It took the guy 20 minutes from driving onto my property to the time I gave him the cash, it was amazing to watch that grinder eat that stump for breakfast.

Grinding the stump usually isn't too costly. Burning like A.C. stated is an option. I've heard of drilling holes and pouring salt in the holes too but not sure if it works. Around here, we just usually wait 3 or 4 years and by then it is rotten and easily got rid of.

I'll grab a pic of the stump when I get home today
I'd like to see that.
Bore it as deep as you can with a spade bit in multiple places, fill them with diesel, let it soak in, repeat 3-4 times, & touch her off. A C
Well, 6' from the house, 1 foot from a wooden deck, burn ban in all of southern Ontario. But that would be my preferred method :cool:
Call around, I got my big oak stump ground down for $50. Some of the guys that work at the tree companies do it on the side. It took the guy 20 minutes from driving onto my property to the time I gave him the cash, it was amazing to watch that grinder eat that stump for breakfast.
I'm just too frugal. My wife say's: "You're cheap, there's a difference" :)
Grinding the stump usually isn't too costly. Burning like A.C. stated is an option. I've heard of drilling holes and pouring salt in the holes too but not sure if it works. Around here, we just usually wait 3 or 4 years and by then it is rotten and easily got rid of.
I wouldn't mind trying, just to see. But I think we're going to dig, cut, cover & sod

Big brother is watching. Look at the Google ad that appeared on youtube just now:

nlv.jpg

Cookies that stay in your pc during searches, come out in ads or banners while surfing. Took me a while to figure it out.

Google knows where you are and everything you've looked at on the Internet. You'll get all sorts of ads showing up specifically having to do with either what you seem to have been interested in lately, or having to do with where you are. Right now I've got an ad at the bottom of my Hearth.com forum page for our local Hospital, Saint Charles Medical Center...just a few miles from my house. I'm quite sure none of you all are seeing that same ad.

I thought that stuff you poured in the holes was called trinitrotoluene. Just don't stand too close with the match.;)
Is that an over the counter item? I'll have to do some research. Wonder what ads Google will display now? :p

Careful...the digital pop-up ads pale in comparison to the all-too-real pop-up black helicopters. !!!

Reactions: amateur cutter
Status
Not open for further replies.