stupid glass cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
When we bought this house 5 years ago, the old Country Flame was already in place. Double doors with glass. The first year, we smoked up so much that the glass was always sooty and dirty. We've gotten much better since then. However, while we were able to get the right side glass door clean, we could never get the left door clean. It's been annoying and I've meant to really scrub it, but I never really got to it other than occasionally spraying it with windex or using newspaper dipped in ash. But this evening I was at Tractor Supply buying stove pipe and remembered to buy coarse steel wool. Got home to a cold stove and sat down and went at that glass for 15 minutes hard. The soot just would not come all the way off. After wiping it down, I noticed that the glass had gotten really silvery and shiny. On a hunch, i grabbed a magnet. Yes, after 5 years I discover the "soot covered glass" in the left door is actually a piece of metal. duuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thats pretty funny... But as Jeff Foxworthy would say" It's better then bein' married for 25 years to a beutiful women.... then findin' out she's a man"

I would never use something sharp or abrasive on any kind of glass or porcelein.

Just what is the best method of cleaning the glass on my stove?

well, for 5 years I had refrained from anything really abrasive. At this point I didn't care about some scratches, just wanted to be able to see some flickering of flame. The glass is only a 6x5 piece with metal mesh on the outside of it. Previous owners must have broken one and just put a metal piece in instead of glass.

If you like to watch the fire, get a Napoleon 1402. Lots of glass, and if you run it right, the glass is always clean with beautiful flames. The residual white film after a fire or two washes off with glass cleaner (use non-ammonia based cleaners!).

Then if you want a real thrill, sprinkle the coals with some Rainbow Flame Crystals when there's a really hot fire with lot of coals and yellow flame. The fire turns into a really pretty array of deep blue, green and yellow flames. The kids always go OHhhhhhhhhh!!

Just for fun.

Dan

I was reading over in the pellet forum that the Tide Magic Eraser pen takes 'sote off the glass and leaves it slicker than a whistle.

caber said:
well, for 5 years I had refrained from anything really abrasive. At this point I didn't care about some scratches, just wanted to be able to see some flickering of flame. The glass is only a 6x5 piece with metal mesh on the outside of it. Previous owners must have broken one and just put a metal piece in instead of glass.

I'm not familiar with any stove glass (actually ceramic but...) that had wire mesh on the outside. Is it possible that it was once replaced with the wrong stuff? You may want to buy two new pieces...

As for "how to clean glass?" do a forum search, and you will find many threads, most of which start with "This has been beaten to death here, but here is how I do it...."

oconnor said:
I'm not familiar with any stove glass (actually ceramic but...) that had wire mesh on the outside. Is it possible that it was once replaced with the wrong stuff? You may want to buy two new pieces...

As for "how to clean glass?" do a forum search, and you will find many threads, most of which start with "This has been beaten to death here, but here is how I do it...."

It's a fancy decorative mesh that matches the gold trim on the stove and seems to be a permanently attached part of the doors.

oconnor said:
caber said:

Yeah but his is the first thread I remember about how to clean metal doors so you can see through them. :bug:

jpl1nh said:
Yeah but his is the first thread I remember about how to clean metal doors so you can see through them. :bug:
I remember a Star Trek episode where they used "Transparent aluminum".

It is possible that the stove was originally made using tempered glass rather than Pyroceram - remember the high temp ceramics are a fairly new invention, and the older stoves used to use tempered glass... This was not as tough as the newer stuff and would shatter when breaking rather than just cracking. So many stoves from that era would put a metal grate on one side of the glass both for cosmetics and to protect it somewhat...

In theory you could replace it with another peice of tempered glass, but it would be FAR safer to use the modern Pyroceramics - however if you look at the prices for them, you would understand why the sheet metal.... The large peices needed for some old windows are NOT cheap....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.