Stupid Pump Flange Thread Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
So it looks like pump flanges are IPS (straight), yet they mate with tapered NPT pipe. What gives?

bpirger said:
So it looks like pump flanges are IPS (straight), yet they mate with tapered NPT pipe. What gives?

Probably means 'IPS - iron pipe size' not iron pipe straight. US or euro flanges??? US--- Dope em up and slap em together ;-)

Never say " slap em together" ... Carefully Install is a better term :)

Chris S said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..... 1.tighten as tight as you can get them... 2.then give another half turn. 3.If they still leak get a bigger pipe wrench and
repeat steps 1 and 2... :coolgrin:

I keep a 48" rigid for just such an occasion. don,t need no stinkin dope with that :snake:

kabbott said:
Chris S said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..... 1.tighten as tight as you can get them... 2.then give another half turn. 3.If they still leak get a bigger pipe wrench and
repeat steps 1 and 2... :coolgrin:

I keep a 48" rigid for just such an occasion. don,t need no stinkin dope with that :snake:

I might be giving you a call if I need a big wrench to do my installation then :p

Most folks have a 48 " long pipe to slip over their 2' pipe wrench!

I needed to buy a 6' pipe wrench for work, the crew was real appreciative that it was aluminum.

peakbagger said:
Most folks have a 48 " long pipe to slip over their 2' pipe wrench!

I needed to buy a 6' pipe wrench for work, the crew was real appreciative that it was aluminum.

Unfortunately my 4' is iron, 6' iron would take 2 men and a boy to carry around the job...I don't even want to know what a 6 foot aluminum cost. :shut:

Use lots of pipe dope and/or tape, and turn the things tight-- based on my experience, the quality of threads on the boiler flanges [at least the brand that I used- Taco][they were what was on sale] leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not a professional pipefitter, but I have assembled a lot of plumbing over the years, of all sorts, and I'd never have expected to have to go around and re-crank a number of my pump flanges to keep the threads from weeping- especially at the modest pressures involved in a hydronic system.

Status
Not open for further replies.