Stupid simple question - I think I may be doing something wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
I need to connect my EXCEL double wall pipe to my Regency 3100 woodstove and I'm ready to burn.

The instructions for the stove pipe say to "screw through the outer casing into the flue collar with three 3/4" metal screws. The black screws are self drilling and will not normally need a pilot hole for steel stove collars".

The stove collar is 1/4" steel and the screws provided with the stove pipe cannot penetrate it.

(The flue collar on the Regency has two holes (east and west) that don't line up with the stove pipe holes and are too large). This is a second hand stove and apparently the previous guy never drilled holes.

Question - Am I doing the right thing by drilling new pilot holes into the flue collar to attach the stove pipe?

Drilling 2 or 3 new small holes in the stove collar will not hurt the stove at all.
You could get 1 of the exsiting holes to line up so you only had to drill 2.

I agree with Dan.

There is nothing magic about the self drilling screws that you will mess up by drilling a starter hole. Perhaps that double wall pipe is made of harder steel than the directions anticipated.

Just be sure the drill bit is smaller than the screws you will be using and all will be good.

That ought to be a good stove!

Thanks guys, I drilled and lit.

Yea!, so we have ignition? How's she burning?

I'll always love my first, the old TempWood smoke dragon, but I feel like I just finished driving a mini-van and now I'm behind the wheel of a ferrari. I'd say I'm in third gear here on the inaugural flight with plenty of power to spare. Buckle up.

Woodjack, you're go for throttle up. Have a nice ride. Houston out.

woodjack said:
I'll always love my first, the old TempWood smoke dragon, but I feel like I just finished driving a mini-van and now I'm behind the wheel of a ferrari. I'd say I'm in third gear here on the inaugural flight with plenty of power to spare. Buckle up.

LOL I can relate to that.

Who, back in the day, would have ever guessed that kicking in the secondary would have been relative to a wood stove?

That was my primary motivation in 79 for getting a VC Resolute. But I never thought I'd be getting a nice light show out of it. The new stoves have really succeeded in burning cleanly and providing a great fire view.

[quote author="fossil" date="1224483187"]Woodjack, you're go for throttle up. Have a nice ride. Houston out.[/quote

Okay, I'm at 450 on dashboard. How high should I take her?

If this is your first supersonic flight, you might want to throttle back and let her cook for a while, then cool her off nice and slow. Rick

fossil said:
Woodjack, you're go for throttle up. Have a nice ride. Houston out.
Houston we have ignition!

fossil said:
If this is your first supersonic flight, you might want to throttle back and let her cook for a while, then cool her off nice and slow. Rick

I throttled her down but her altitude kept climbing. . . to 600. I got her backing off now.
What's most amazing is how calm the fire is burning. My old stove would require a forest fire to get this hot.

Now, it looks like the wood isn't even burning - just the secondary tubes. This thing is rocket ship AND great on fuel.

Welcome to the world of modern stoves woodjack. I think you're going to like the changes.

BeGreen said:
Welcome to the world of modern stoves woodjack. I think you're going to like the changes.
Funny thing, when I carted my old stove out I thought I made a mistake. I new all her quirks and how to get her going strong.

I feared the learning curve was set to embark on. This is a blast.

You're going to do fine with the new stove. Enjoy and welcome to the 21st century ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.