Stupid thing I did today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
...That I wont soon forget as it's gonna sting awhile!

Today while splitting I buried the maul into a round and rather than taking the time to remove it I got frustrated and raised the round and maul together and slammed them down on the cutting block. What I failed to realize was the handle was just about level with the top of the round so when impact happened the handle met the round and my left hand absorbed the blow. Now my palm is very sore!

Lesson learned!

Can't quit picture what happened.
If I get the maul stuck in a round,
& the round is small enough to pick up with the maul stuck in it, is
lift them up with the maul & flip it over to where the hammer end of the maul
hits the block & it usually splits. Use gravity.
Also don't swing real hard, hit it once on the far side, then once in the middle, then hit the edge close to you.
Makes a nice even splits & less work. Don't take a big swing into the middle, that's the best place to get the axe or maul stuck.
Watch Quads video, "splitting a crotch". An experienced wood splitter, swinging easy & accurate. Swing the same.

It may be macho but not accurate to split it with one blow, easy & accurate is the key, less work & easier on the back.
Not to say it works on every one, but it does on most.

Can't wait to get out there tomorrow and give that a go! Thanks for the tip :)

OUCH! Things like that happen. I smashed my typing finger between two splits yesterday, just by pure coincidence. Hope your pain has gone away by today!

Yet another reason the Monster Maul is the way to go. The Moster Maul does dot get stuck due to the shape.

But why are you splitting pieces that are already small enough that you can pick up the piece and the maul all by the handle? :grrr:

I agree with the three hits- back, middle, front- usually pops by the middle. Swing smarter- not hard.

wood spliter said:
What kind of handle, sounds like the impact traveled up the handle?

Wood handle- My hand was positoned further up on the handle. I figured it just needed that one slam to finish the job but the handle was pretty much touching the surface of the round.

Quads--Thanks man! Already feeling better this morning :)

ISeeDeadBTUs-- I try and split even the smallest of rounds. I figured t would help with getting things seasoned?

It could have been your left foot absorbing the round after it dissociate itself from the maul at apogee.
That hurts, too.

I do that all the time, actually. So far nothing too nasty has happen. Maybe the probabilty debt will have to be paid soon, though.

hareball said:
wood spliter said:
What kind of handle, sounds like the impact traveled up the handle?

Wood handle- My hand was positoned further up on the handle. I figured it just needed that one slam to finish the job but the handle was pretty much touching the surface of the round.

Quads--Thanks man! Already feeling better this morning :)

ISeeDeadBTUs-- I try and split even the smallest of rounds. I figured t would help with getting things seasoned?
Glad to hear you are feeling better. I figured it was a plastic handle, I rarely use glove and they kill my hands

Thanks WS :)

Here we go! This ones for Quads--3x the hits with the 8 pound maul and the final death blow with the Fiskars lol

Attachments

• quads1.jpg
    quads1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 437
Battenkiller said:
quads said:
I smashed my typing finger between two splits yesterday

That's why it pays to learn to type with two fingers instead of only one.
I'm not that advanced! One on the mouse, one on the keyboard. Click, plunk, click, plunk, click.........

hareball said:
Thanks WS :)

Here we go! This ones for Quads--3x the hits with the 8 pound maul and the final death blow with the Fiskars lol
Ha ha! There ya go! Now if you could learn to use one in each hand, the maul in one hand and the Fiskars in the other, then I might try to learn to type with more than one finger!

When I split that crotch the look on my face might have been priceless haha
Th maul just seemed to bounce off it but sure enough t was doing the job. :)

Thanks for the help here fellas! I had a great time splitting today and never even looked at the splitter tucked away in the garage. :coolgrin:

I type wth 2 fingers--One is hunt and one is peck!

Status
Not open for further replies.