stupidest post on the internet **Coal Hod Review**

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schwaggly

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2009
n.shore ma
This is a persons negative review of a coal hod at Lowes. The way I see it the smell of the paint saved his ass from carbon monoxide poisoning.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_291653-4278...l__0__s?Ntt=coal+hod&facetInfo;=#BVRRWidgetID

howeller Location: howell MI Level of Expertise:Intermediate Date: January 2, 2011

Features: uncured- smoked up house on first use

Overall Rating: 1 / 5 .
1 / 5 .Value:
1 / 5 .Design:
1 / 5 .Quality:
1 / 5 .Ease of use:
1 / 5 .

We used this can to removed ash and coal from a wood stove- and immediately- the can started giving off awful fumes and smoking. We had to run it out of the house and vent the whole house when it was below freezing outside. It came with no directions or instructions- so we thought we could just use it.
I would not recommend this to a friend

I bought one and took it ouside after filling I placed it on some gravel away from combustibles works fine for me.

At least they didnt use a plastic 5 gallon bucket lowes sells. They would have really had a bad review.

Had the same problem with a set of fireplace tools I bought from TSC. Cheap steel and regular spray paint, not hi temp stuff. First time I had to shovel out the stove in the winter last year the shovel head was smoking and glowing like crazy. Had to run it outside and douse it in a snowbank. Shovelhead got deformed, most of the paint was gone too. Doesn't smoke as much anymore.

That reminds me. I need to get a new set of fireplace tools. Soon.

I've never head of a "hod" before. Looks alot like what I call a bucket...not sure what the difference is, but I'm sure there is one or it would probably be called an ash bucket.

You should see him try to roto-till his garden with the new snowblower.

Webmaster said:
It's impossible to rate something as the dumbest post on the net......we will never reach the bottom....I'm sure of it!

fair enough but we can use this as a starting point.

mayhem said:
Had the same problem with a set of fireplace tools I bought from TSC. Cheap steel and regular spray paint, not hi temp stuff. First time I had to shovel out the stove in the winter last year the shovel head was smoking and glowing like crazy. Had to run it outside and douse it in a snowbank. Shovelhead got deformed, most of the paint was gone too. Doesn't smoke as much anymore.

That reminds me. I need to get a new set of fireplace tools. Soon.

I've never head of a "hod" before. Looks alot like what I call a bucket...not sure what the difference is, but I'm sure there is one or it would probably be called an ash bucket.

A Hod will have a double walled base and is specifically made for this purpose. A bucket is a bucket. I can see that happening to some cheap HD or TSC tools.

Does anyone else think that if the contents were that hot that they would produce enough carbon monoxide to be hazardous?

Since the poster heats his home with wood perhaps he needs one of these to remind him of proper woodcutting practices:

warning_sign.jpg

I respond to plenty of fires during the heating season where the homeowner placed his/her
ashes in a paper bag or bucket and placed it on the deck only to wake up in the night to the side of their house on fire! You Cant fix stupid!

Rob

Oh and that dumb azz with the review lives in the next town from me. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.