Submersible Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggie Dunlap

Feeling the Heat
Dec 13, 2005
Northern Vermont
I'm looking for a digital thermometer recommendation for my storage tank. Ideally it would be wireless, so I could watch the tank temp from upstairs. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Reggie

Reggie Dunlap said:
I'm looking for a digital thermometer recommendation for my storage tank. Ideally it would be wireless, so I could watch the tank temp from upstairs. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Reggie

Submersible is tough. I use a sealed copper pipe that extends above the water surface, and slide the sensor(s) down to the desired level.

That's the best idea I've heard, Reggie. I'll probably just stick the probes somewhere between the liner and the insulation, but obviously, putting it in the middle of the tank is going to yield a more accurate measurement. Like you, I'd like to be able to check the tank temp without having to schlep down into the basement. Might help me determine when to get out of bed on Saturday morning.

I talked to Cole Parmer, they sell lab and industrial instruments. They have a single probe set up for around $75 or a dual probe for $250, but neither are wireless. I'd like to have two probes, but I'm not going to spend a couple hundred bucks for it.

The sealed copper pipe idea seems like a good idea. Do you use a regular weather station for that?

Reggie

You can get barbeque thermometers with dual probes and a remote display for less than $50 on Ebay, and even less elsewhere. Plus, they're exactly the right temp range. There's a thread on that around here somewhere with links. I checked them out and that's probably what I'll go with. The only problem is that the lead wires are only 3 feet each, so in my case, there's not enough wire to get to the bottom of my 5-foot tank. So my plan is to drill a small hole in the concrete wall about 3 feet high and insert the probes between the liner and insulation, as I described earlier--one three feet above the hole and the other three feet below it.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10963/

Here's a link to the thread. Don't spend 2 bills, Reggie.

Heres what I use, http://www.allied-refrig.com/D.pdf go to page 6 and it is the Goldline td-6. It is not wireless but you can monitor 6 different temps with it. I have three on my tank and one on my boiler in my shop so I know how hot it is without going outside to my boiler. I have it mounted in my basement stairway all it needs is 24v and I have a piece of old cat 5 cable going to my sensors. You might be able to get a submersible 10k sensor for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.