Suburban Scroungers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
As a suburban scrounger on a .25 acre lot, I'm curious what your "backwoods" looks like. I could stack and store more than 4 cords, but that would compromise the identity of our backyard and upset the wife a bit. I've posted mine on several occasions, so I'll hold off here. Let's see yours.

Also, if you have any storage tips/tricks please share. It's all about space here.

P.S. No impressive woodsheds like Bogy Daves, Blue2ndaries, the woodshed behind the video of the kid splitting wood, or enchanting forests like Zap and Sav.

I have a 60' wide by 120' deep urban (not suburban) lot ( 0.16 acre ) of which most is a large house and a 4 car garage, and am going to fit 6-8 cord in there. The wood will definately be noticable, but it is all in area's that I do not use and will not miss.

Stack along the house, fence, garage, etc and stack higher. To the eye spacially there isn't much difference between a house or garage wall or a wood fence and a wood pile that 'extends' the wall 18" further into the yard. A 6' tall by 12' long wood rack, single wide of 18" pieces is just shy of 1 cord.

For example, if my property were not so crowded with buildings I could have stacked a single wide row of wood, 6' high, along 60' of the fence on each side and the 60' back portion of the fence. Would give me 12.6 cords of wood and I would loose 270 sq/ft out of my (theoretical) 3600 sq/ft back yard. But alas my property is full of buildings so I have to have a rack of wood here and a rack of wood there.

Of course, your wife has to be ok with the wood pile idea first...

I am on a half acre lot. Though it is considered rural, there are 18 houses clustered in a little "neighborhood". My wood is stacked along the back of the property making a sort of "fence" between me and my neighbor. Make sure you leave a goodly amount of space so you can maintain the back side, just like all good fence owners.

This is only part of my stock.

Attachments

• 300_WOODPILE.jpg
    300_WOODPILE.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 734
I'm not tight for space but here's what I've done to consolidate all my wood in one area. Each stack is double rows. Most stacks are 1.25 cords. Some are more because I used four pallets instead of three. There's also an HH stack which is fours pallets. You can get up to 2 cords in this type of stack if you do it carefully. I leave enough space between stacks so I can get in and out to get the wood.

index.php

stejus said:
I'm not tight for space but here's what I've done to consolidate all my wood in one area. Each stack is double rows. Most stacks are 1.25 cords. Some are more because I used four pallets instead of three. There's also an HH stack which is fours pallets. You can get up to 2 cords in this type of stack if you do it carefully. I leave enough space between stacks so I can get in and out to get the wood.

index.php

I live in the city and my backyard is way less than 1/4 acre. My back door is 4ft from the ground because of the cellar door. From the back door I have a 32ft x 20ft raised deck with wrought iron railing all around the perimeter of the deck, minus the stairs. I stack from the ground on the outside of the deck to the top rail-which is around 7&1/2 ft tall. It looks pretty neat when you are sitting on the deck and when you are on the ground it appears like the wood is holding up the deck. The entire deck is surrounded by almost an 8ft wall of wood. With the wrought iron railing the top of the stack lets plenty of air and the bottom of the deck is open so plenty of air moves through there.

I also have a gangway on each side of my house and they are fenced by a 6ft wrought iron fence and gate. I stack on the inside of both fences, away from the house, the entire 36ft to the top of the fence. There is still plenty of sidewalk space, enough to get the lawn mower to the front yard.

In the rear of the house I have a garage and a carport. The carport is where all of my wood is processed. This is very handy because in the alley behind the fenced carport is a yard waste dumpster and all of my sawdust and uglies and woodlets get dumped in there. The west side of my garage also has a gangway that has a fenced by a 6ft wood privacy fence. I stack along the fence 6ft high and against the garage wall 24ft x 6ft. I have built a trellis that keeps both stack from falling into each other and the ivy is starting to cover the trellis. It looks like two walls of wood with a path in the middle with an ivy ceiling.

After I fill it back up and the grass grows in I will post some pictures.

This usually keeps me about 2 years ahead. This year I gave quite a bit away to family and friends so I am catching up

Violation: Stejus for posting what appears to an enchanting forest.

Stax said:
Violation: Stejus for posting what appears to an enchanting forest.
Stax, that's not a forest....that's part of stejus' woodpile. They just haven't been summoned to the stack yet!!

10 cords will stack nicely on a 21x21 concrete slab.

Attachments

• wood hauler.jpg
    wood hauler.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 615

My entire backyard, grass part, is about that size- if not smaller.

geoxman said:

My entire backyard, grass part, is about that size- if not smaller.

lol, That sux's.......

Stax said:
As a suburban scrounger on a .25 acre lot, I'm curious what your "backwoods" looks like. I could stack and store more than 4 cords, but that would compromise the identity of our backyard and upset the wife a bit. I've posted mine on several occasions, so I'll hold off here. Let's see yours.

Also, if you have any storage tips/tricks please share. It's all about space here.

P.S. No impressive woodsheds like Bogy Daves, Blue2ndaries, the woodshed behind the video of the kid splitting wood, or enchanting forests like Zap and Sav.

I think you need to see Carbon Neutral/Liberator (at least I think it is one of these guys) and his woodshed . . . it is a long, narrow shed that kind of works as a fence/border with his neighbor. It's very stylish and functional. The coolest thing is the secret hide-away.

firefighterjake said:
Stax said:

I think you need to see Carbon Neutral/Liberator (at least I think it is one of these guys) and his woodshed . . . it is a long, narrow shed that kind of works as a fence/border with his neighbor. It's very stylish and functional. The coolest thing is the secret hide-away.

I have a wood shed along my fence line too which is about 4 ft wide and 20 ft long....the other side is my neighbors woods so it works well

I dont have a pic, but at one point, my .12 acre lot was about half woodpiles. Some rounds, some split, some stacked, some in the front yard, some in the back, some in the truck, etc... I have no idea how many cords, but it was alot for such a small yard. The neighborhood started noticing and talking, so I had to make alot of it go away. Ive burnt alot of it, gave some away, and quit bringing more home. I stack in other locations now. All it costs is some wood for the proplerty owners. I'll take a pic of whats left in my yard tonight which is around 4 cords or so.

I've got 2.5 acres but I have a pool, house, tool shed, and a pond that eat up most of the space. I also live on a hill and hate having to cart wood up hill in the winter so I stack up even with the house and just keep it to the side where it is least visible. It seems to work okay and the wife sees the rewards when we get our heating bill in the winter.

Stax said:

Dang.... I was all set to post a few pictures until I read that last sentence.... Maybe next time.

Looks bigger in this pic for some reason taken in Snowtober this year from my 2nd floor bathroom window. I got .21 acres and my lot is odd shaped. Behind the tree is 4 cords which is the largest part of my back yard, and fortunately joining a neighbor that don't care. Beside the tree if I stack 5 foot high I can fit 2 cords.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-08 at 7.35.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-08 at 7.35.23 PM.png
    18 KB · Views: 293
  • wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 286
My suburban lot is .25 acres. 100x100. I have stacks set up for about 12 cords. Most of the back property line is covered by two walls of wood three rows deep and around 5' high on pallets. I have one other 1 cord rack on the side line.
here's some pictures from a fall 2010. Both of them are a few feet longer now.
Here's the North rack.
DSC06574.jpg

Here's the South rack
DSC06708.jpg

And the one cord rack on the other line.
DSC06785.jpg

Right now due to the mild winter, I have a bunch of other stacks scattered around the back yard waiting for space on the permanent racks.
I have gotten no grief from the neighbors yet. I did hand out some wood during the big power outage in October so I'm sure they all appreciate my wood stacks.

TDcheif
You setup looks so nice. I like that it is landscaped so nicely.

You certainly need to be much more calculated in your approach with limited space. I am impressed with some of your strategies to maximixe your woor stash w/o offending neighbors or wives and even saving some yard space. If I fill all my available open space I might even have people here wondering about me!!

As this will be my second year of heating with wood I am sure there will be a learning curve as to the best approach regarding winter accessability and storage but for now I just continue to extend my pallets and keep space available to ride my mower and quad around it.

Attachments

• Wood SM 001.jpg
    Wood SM 001.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 199
We live on a corner lot. I get a lot more wood in the area of the heap than I ever would in stacks. I take advantage of the side street to reduce handling. Drying is finished in the shed before it is burned.

Attachments

• 041011 top terrace garden.jpg
    041011 top terrace garden.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 191
tfdchief said:
Here is my backwoods stacks;-P

Is that a wood lot or a park?

Beautiful!

Ahhh, the heap! I love seeing that thing. One of these days, once I move to a place where I cant smell my neighbors farts, I'll have a heap of my own. I hate stacking almost as much as doing the dishes.

Heres a bad pic of what I have left after 2 years of burning and giving it away. Theres 4 cords here if you count the uglies/chunk pile. All that stuff against the fence is 2+ YO oak and 1yr locust. I cant wait to dip into it, but it looks like it will be next year.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 175
tfdchief said:
Here is my backwoods stacks;-P
Chief you certainly take it to the next level! That's a work of art! And then you that beautiful shed....... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.