Suburban vs. Rural scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeman812

Feb 19, 2007
Medina, NY
Seems to me that suburban may provide more opportunity for scrounging, tree companies more willing to just let the wood go insted of having the space to season it and sell it themselves. I could be wrong though and I would appreciate any leads for people like myself in rural areas to scrounge. I saw a post where the county drop off point would be good. Most of the people I know that burn wood in rural areas either have land and utilize it for firewood or know a close friend or family member that lets them get firewood. I see some logs on the side of the road in my travels (especially now as the October storm left a lot of downed and damaged trees.) Usually there is not a house close by and I will not just pull up and take it.
So does anyone have any good "rural" ways to scrounge?

Regarding those logs you see where there is no obvious landowner...perhaps your county has an online land lookup tool that will give you the name/address of the owner. Mine does and I've tracked down an owner or two that way. Evenif your area is rural, I have to believe you have houses on a lot of this land. Go knock on a couple doors and just ask.

I would do the same thing; find a door and knock. If you spot someone working a field, try to catch them and ask if you can clean up any dead or fallen trees from the fence lines.

Thanks, both good ideas, gonna have to old fashion detective work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.