Success!....kind of

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
So I have this friend who regularly cuts wood (oak) in August and burns it in October. In the past I've seen him cut green and throw in the stove the same day. For the last few months I've been hinting pretty strongly that he needs to let his wood dry and cut enough to get ahead, occasionally dropping a Backwoods Savage quote here and there. I've also been touting the advantages of NOT having to cut wood when it's 100 degrees and humid like it is here in Va in August.

Anyway, the other day I stop by and he's cutting up this tree (white oak) that he had just cut down. I asked him when he was going to burn this and he thought for a moment and said that he thought it needed to dry for a year! So he's going to split it, stack it, and not touch it this year!

Now I know that the oak will take longer to dry than a year, but this is a big improvement! One step at a time......

Yeah, one year seasoning is a whole lot better than one day! I think the most convincing arguement for dry wood is to see a stove with dry wood in action.

Does he have an old smoke dragon? He couldnt get away with that with a modern epa stove.

Baby steps . . . baby steps. . . . ;)

Now once you get him on board with seasoning wood, you'll have to start trying to convince him that he's getting taller or something.

Well, evidently you've done some good with him. And I couldn't agree more with what Wood Duck posted. Perhaps you should quote that one to him?!

Wood Duck said:
Yeah, one year seasoning is a whole lot better than one day! I think the most convincing arguement for dry wood is to see a stove with dry wood in action.

Bingo! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.