successfull donor installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Keyman ,GVA and Harley were able to eliminate a 70's poluting dragon with a modern effecient Epa II stove
Things went according to plan and soon. The others will be ariving home Today we all have a cleaner enviorment
Be green PM me me I have sone bio bricks for your to test

First try with photo bucket so we will see how it works......
I made up the titles as I went along.
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s230/gva_album/
Was a pretty easy install....
Good to work with Elk again..... And great to meet Harley and Keyman Who traveled a great distance to help...... Great job guys
I brought 160 pounds of Bio Bricks from a local dealer for them to try (as my auger would jam up on them :cheese:) Just so we could have some insight on them....
OOOOPPPPPSSSS....... I brought some Cigars too but forgot to break them out (new top secret stuff my company is thinking about distributing)
Anyway great job guy's......... And Key I was just bustin' your chops about the posts....... ;-)
Again great job guy's that smoke dragon was a disaster waiting to happen......

elkimmeg said:
Keyman ,GVA anf Harley were able to eliminate a 70's poluting dragon with a modern effecient Epa II stove

Just got back home a little bit ago - you left out the one who really spearheaded the installation, and that's you. It was great to meet you, GVA, and Keyman.

You guys sounds like "Ask This Old House" when you're looking at the creosote! LMAO!

No test fire pics? :(

Again, great work fella's, we're kicking stove butt all over the northeast now!

Congrats gentlemen. Ya done a great install job and one hell of a good deed.

Hat is off to ya.

Tom's Tavern must close real early?

BrotherBart said:
Congrats gentlemen. Ya done a great install job and one hell of a good deed.

Hat is off to ya.

Tom's Tavern must close real early?
Nah.... Were just too old to stay out too late.......... So we started drinkin' early %-P

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1175407312"Tom's Tavern must close real early?[/quote]

Nope, nice place, but we only had one.... there. ;-P

Corie said:
You guys sounds like "Ask This Old House" when you're looking at the creosote! LMAO

They didn't know that I filmed that....SHHHH......
That was all the ash that was in the pipe not too bad...

After looking at the pics, I noticed I have a different stove. You guys installed the next larger one. Cool deal! I have the 240007 and you guys have the 270 something. I got mixed up with the 7s.

Matt

Nice job guys! I'll be helping Corie on the next install. Where are the Tom's Tavern photos? Ha! ;-P Quick

Harley brought some local brew where we shot the chit a bit and suck down a few before we hit Tom's . Tom's was the perfect place to adjurn to ,but we celebtrated a bit before arriving.
and all still had to drive home. So we limited our time at Tom's. The best part of the day was meeting Harley and Keyman. Nobody got over worked and everything went about as planned.
In the end the installation and connector pipe was far better than the original setup that had 2 90's in the run We were able to eliminate the 90';s The entire connections consisted of 2 15 degree turns. We also discovered how well the chimney drafted .After we taped the plastic bag to the flue, the draft almost sucked up the flue. All toll we removed less than 1/2 coffee can of brown powder type ash, very little shiny cresote and a very clean cap This was a real good installation for the donor participants and us installers.
Every joint was fully inserted and received 3 sheet metal screws. The first elbow to the stove we trimmed the corrugated end so the it fully was inserted into the flue collar. then finish it up With gasket cemented . Probably the most important tool was the crimpers. It made the critical connections go so much easier.

Great guys to work with thanks Harley Keyman and GVA.. You know we should get a cheap decent pellet stove one of these days to install So that installation proceedure is covered on film. I was so busy working, I took only 2 or so pictures. I will post, but Keyman has a bunch too. The Media never showed .

You know this $288 stove is constructed quite good. nNce size ash disposal, the added bonus was the blower, found in the ash draw a 60$ option ,that happened to come with the stove.
It uses the rear heat shield for its heat collection and blows it out the top. I also think the stove size matches the room and home layout quite well. For you wise guys it was a permitted installation. Mrs Hunter called to thank the entire forum and really likes the open fire view the old stove never had. These people have a far safer setup, then what we removed. The connector pipe was rusted and quite thin in places. It is quite evident they were burning good seasoned oak, but their biggest complaint was the vollume the old stove ate up.

BB you were the favorite poster member that came up in the discussions. BeGreen pm my your address. I want to send you some of the bio bricks for you to try out. Easillyt can send you 10 of them. Harley will probably be trying some out tonight . I did not reconise harley from his bike weekend picture he posted, he has that corporate look now. On the way to the home we passed a real nice customized Harley. For as minute of two I wondered if Harley was going to make the final turn.

We dissed the crap out of BI...

what the old stove looked llike before we removed it
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/?action=view&current=woodstove.jpg

Third photo is GVA Left and Harley right figuring out the refractory brick installation and finishing up the installation

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/?action=view&current=donorstove.jpg

Great job guys!!!!
Some damn fine folks you all are.
Chalk another one up for the good guys!!!!!!!!

Way to go guys. That's a beauty. I can't believe the old stove, no baffle, nothing between the fire and the flue. The new stove should do the job really well. My hat's off to you all!

Corie said:
DID YOU BURN IT OR WHAT?

jeez! :p

No - we didn't.... it was a little too warm today, and secondly, it wasn't signed off yet by the local BI (Elk has this hangup about "codes" and things for some reason)..... just kidding, Don

elkimmeg said:
Keyman ,GVA and Harley were able to eliminate a 70's poluting dragon with a modern effecient Epa II stove
Things went according to plan and soon. The others will be ariving home Today we all have a cleaner enviorment
Be green PM me me I have sone bio bricks for your to test

Great job!

Good Grassroots effort, from buying the stove to getting it done!

How many Hearth.com members does it take to install a stove?
(That is a rhetorical question, with people filling in their own answers)

Keyman 'Chimes In':
True to fashion I'll begin with a quote: ...From Corie:
DID YOU BURN IT OR WHAT?

jeez! :p

Ease up 'Gunsmoke'...Here's a candy bar...now off to your corner (work off that hyper-ness)lol.

Saturday's event "Came off without a hitch". Was glad to finally get to "Place some faces with some of the names". Great to finally meet Elk, GVA, and Harley. We made "A good Crew". To answer the question "How many forum members does it take to do an install..." as many that show up and want to be social"..."Keeps the forum community going strong."
I "Decided to make an appearance" out of curiousity...figuring if nothing else for "moral support"...but also to insure plenty of pictures for future...and possible coverage. At first I was going to RSVP but didn't know "how my morning was going to go" so I played it by ear...jumped into the "Little red rice ship". Paid some bills, fueled up and "lined up for the runway". Gave Elk a call at 8:53 to let him know I was on the way...2-70-117 was clear sailing traffic on 117 at the crossing, slow go through Bolton flats and stuck behind trucks off the lights at Bolton Hill...I figured I was going to be late and would just meet them at the job...Elk called me back at 9:23 just as I was about to get on I-495 to give me his cell# I wasn't going to try to copy at takeoff speed "Call me at 9:45 on the dot...I'll let you know how I'm doing". I was at the light off exit #15 at 9:42...I rolled past the meeting spot and didn't see them, got a coffee across the street and "decided to take a look where he said to meet"...I was surprised to find Elk and Harley waiting for GVA..who wasn't that far behind me. Sorry for the ramble...I couldn't get to tell the boys' the story...ELK...lol. Maybe next time...Elk...Maybe next time we can swap the stories about working on "football field lights"....lol (Harley and GVA are probably smiling right now)...the ("Bad OSHA movie in the making")neighbor with the chainsaw...grrrr. Well enough for 'that rant'....lol
I think we did more BS'ing than actual work...but mission accomplished! It was everything expected and "nothing that wasn't(which is a good thing)". Job got done safely and efficently. Elk was a good coordinator...as well as teacher. GVA was a "good PR man" (I'm going to have to take a close look at video footage)...and for providing the BIO bricks for display for Media... which isn't lost just yet. Gotta keep those "in a safe place for display" in the future. Harley and I worked well together (as we all did) up "Topside"...while Elk and GVA worked down below. Good coordinated effort gentlemen..."Harley had/did the Honors of being 'keeper of the Cooler'...which was a must"...another job well done Sir.
Details of the Tavern to be posted at a latter date...good time also.
Was a nice way to spend the day...and I enjoyed the company of fine people.

I forgot about the neighbor cutting twigs with the chainsaw with his PPE on ;-P
Thanks to Harley for the refreshments
Yeah there were too many stories started that were....................
Hey I had one of those red rice ships and actually donated it last year when a friend trashed the motor....
I'll post some stuff to look at that we were talking about later, probably on a different thread.

Great job guys! You all deserve a round of...applause...beer...thanks...whatever else you like!

I wish I was closer, or that we could get the WI, IL, IN, IA crew to do a donor install in this neck of the woods.

The Hunter familly wants to thank all those involved so here is the list of those that contributed to make it happen

Wrenchmonster who started the ball rolling
Roospike what can I say is helping in so many ways everyday here
Harley instrumental bringing it all together
Hardwood715 keept the ball rolling thanks Hope yoiu are staying warm
GVA was there for us when we installed fellow member turnerthe burner liner and stove and I know I can count on to help with this install
Bruce566 who helped me in the past with my pk truck vacuum problem and helped many others here
BeGreen completed the deal

Special thanks to KEYman for asisting in the installation along with Harley and GVA who Donated time and money to make it happen

GVA said:
I forgot about the neighbor cutting twigs with the chainsaw with his PPE on ;-P
Thanks to Harley for the refreshments
Yeah there were too many stories started that were....................
Hey I had one of those red rice ships and actually donated it last year when a friend trashed the motor....
I'll post some stuff to look at that we were talking about later, probably on a different thread.

Yeah you mean the guy in shorts and sneakers. That's right in the low 40's and this guy is running around in shorts no shirt. He starts the Chain saw and revs it while walking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.