1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Sudden rust on the Vigilant. How do I clean it?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Kenster, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    We had a heavy rain here yesterday. (rare for Texas!) Late in the day I noticed a puddle of water on the griddle of the Vigilant. The top is covered with surface rust. I guess a leak has developed somewhere around the sealant where the metal chimney goes through the metal roof.
    I'll try to figure out how to fix that leak but... How do I clean the surface rust off the Vig? Fine steel wool? Does it need to be treated with anything? Light coat of oil? (that might stink up the place when the stove gets hot.)

Appreciate your thoughts.

Ken

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    On the top of my cookstove I use green Scotch Brite wetted with vegetable oil. Same as used with seasoning cast iron pans. A certain amount will cook off, but it gets embedded into the iron. Done routinely it gets a coating of protection.
  3. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    Sounds like a simple solution. Thanks, Coaly.