Sudden Soot Build Up on Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyKeiley

Feb 26, 2015
Byfield, MA
I was hoping someone might be able to offer advice. We've been running our Harman P43 all winter without trouble. We purchased it used late fall 2014. It was manufactured in 2000. A few days ago I heard a "pop" and a flaming pellet shot forward, hitting the glass. Since then, the door turns black almost immediately and there is a ring around the door that looks at though its coming into direct contact with flames. The stove ignites and runs "well" and then shuts down suddenly (with a full hopper). I fear there is an issue with the seal on the door. I noticed the contact point at the latch looks bent. Im not sure if its always been this way or not. The white nylon "rope" around the door has no sign of burn. I do not feel an uneven or excessive heat coming from around the door (drafts). Any ideas?

Shoot some pictures and post them so we don't imagine different things.

Have the door gaskets been replaced since you've owned it? If not do the dollar bill test which you can search for using the search button. Basically you put a dollar bill or whatever bill you have a bailable in between the door and door frame and close and latch the door. Then pull the dollar bill out. It should have a good amount of drag on it. Do this all around the doors. If it comes right out, with little or no drag that gasket needs to be replaced.

It sounds like you have something other then the gaskets but its. good to eliminate the gaskets. If they are needed.

When was the stove last cleaned top to bottom including all the venting?

Has the fire move down to the throat of the burn pot?

I suspect the hopper lid sealing is compromised somehow.

If not, inspect the auger transfer tube for fractures or opening of any type.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! When I got home today, stove was off and error code was flashing 6. According to my manual, that's not good. I am going to inspect the chimney outside tomorrow and make sure there isn't something obstructing it. :-/ image.jpg

Check the fresh air intake flap. If stuck closed will create a severe air shortage and as you have, lots of soot.
There will be no draft around the door indicating a leak as the stove operates under a low vacuum.
Have you checked and cleaned the fines box?

Check the fresh air intake flap. If stuck closed will create a severe air shortage and as you have, lots of soot.
There will be no draft around the door indicating a leak as the stove operates under a low vacuum.
Have you checked and cleaned the fines box?
Im not sure how to access the fines box. Can you advise?

Remove right rear panel when looking from the front. Wing not on bottom of box. Lift and remove and vacuum out. This box holds all the fines or dust when you dump pellets in. It will fill up and needs to be cleaned periodically. Download the owners manual.

Yes! That had a lot of build up in it! I also snow shoed out to the vent outside where I find lots if chunky blackened bits clogging up the vent gaurd / mesh. I think i fixed it. Thank you all for your help. Ive been cleaning regularly but this is our first season and Ive obviously got a lot to learn. Your help is MUCH appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 109
Yes! That had a lot of build up in it! I also snow shoed out to the vent outside where I find lots if chunky blackened bits clogging up the vent gaurd / mesh. I think i fixed it. Thank you all for your help. Ive been cleaning regularly but this is our first season and Ive obviously got a lot to learn. Your help is MUCH appreciated!
Have you cleaned your exhaust pipe at all this year? if not you should do so. It should be done once per ton

Attachments

• DSCN0290.JPG
    DSCN0290.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 116
Status
Not open for further replies.