Suddenly have smoke smell on the first floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
No smoke smell whatsoever from the Oslo all winter but now, over the last few weeks am getting an occasional smoke smell. I'm sure it is related to the warmer temps but still found it odd that it was occurring at all and wondering where it is coming from. I am getting no smell in the basement with the Morso which is still running almost 24/7.

Are you running them both at the same time? Chimneys close by to each other? Warmer weather can reduce draft in some cases.

The Morso is almost always running and the Oslo is definitely running if the Morso is so yes.

The chimney's are about 20 feet apart, with the Morso being further east and about 4 feet higher.

It almost has to be from the weather Wendell. Looks like you're getting rain and this sort of thing can happen even before the rain gets to you. As soon as you can, I'd get up there and clean the chimney to see if that would help.

I would agree. Take a look at the chimney and see if its plugged at all. Got a cap on the top? Check that as well. Ive seen those get clogged from time to time.

It would of course seem that it is weather related so I guess my question is more what is the mechanism for it happening. Since I've never had it happen before, I've never given it much thought.

With warmer temps there is less draft and certainly the chimney could use a cleaning with the less than adequate drying time my wood for that stove had this year. So, is a little bit of smoke being forced out through the joints in the double wall, through the door gaskets, through the air intake or a little bit of all 3?

Could be anywhere. But warmer muggy days seem to do that. We ruled out the second chimney being an issue. If you cant see visible smoke coming out, you could try doing the dollar bill test on the doors, look at the pipe connectors, check the chimney and dry a load of properly seasoned wood. Kinda just gotta go thru all the obvious stuff you've learned here over the past few years and start eliminating the obvious.

Always soften the infantry with artillary before sending in the calvary.

-If a window was opened when it was warmed and then not locked, some odor could come in if there's negative pressure in the house (that's what heppens for us).
-Is there another flue opening?

wendell said:
It would of course seem that it is weather related so I guess my question is more what is the mechanism for it happening. Since I've never had it happen before, I've never given it much thought.

With warmer temps there is less draft and certainly the chimney could use a cleaning with the less than adequate drying time my wood for that stove had this year. So, is a little bit of smoke being forced out through the joints in the double wall, through the door gaskets, through the air intake or a little bit of all 3?
Have you ever thought about using two 45's instead of that 90 ?
Probably not the problem though..but it would help with draft in warmer weather.

Absolutely. The less bends in the pipe the better the draft is going to be. Using 2 45 degree angles instead of the 90 is a great idea.

HotCoals said:
Have you ever thought about using two 45's instead of that 90 ?
Probably not the problem though..but it would help with draft in warmer weather.

Wrong stove. My avatar is the Morso. We're talking about the Oslo which has a 17' chimney straight up.

Status
Not open for further replies.