Sugar House for Maple Syrup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
A few weeks ago finished my second year sugaring in MA. First year made 2/3 of a gallon from 7 trees. This year made one gallon from 8. Have a few others that could be big enough for tapping in a few years. I do not use vacuum tubes. I did a quick build cinderblock evaporator on old hearth pad with two stoneware pots and a 4 ft stovepipe for exhaust. Burned wood. Didn't even go through a face cord of pine. Finish boil on kitchen stove inside.

Now I want to build a sugar house. My carpentry skills are better than a beginner, but that's it. Will probably have help.

My town will let me go 9 x 12 with shed permit, but inspector says I can stretch it a bit. Maybe 10x14ish. I told him I want the evaporator and stove pipe inspected for safety. Plan to do 2x4 evaporator from brick unless I can get something cheap used. 2x4 stainless food grade pan for boiling and have stove pipe vent out. Will burn wood. May stack wood outside or have one wall be wood.

I plan to pour 5-6 inches of gravel, prop up on cinder blocks, and fill in gaps with field stone to deter large critters from nesting underneath. 2x4 or 2x6 floor frame, 16 inches on center. Tongue and grove plywood floor. 2x4 walls. Maybe reclaimed wide board horizontal flooring to cover walls. Pitched roof, but not sure what kind yet. Cupola or some kind of trap door vent. I plan to reuse a five year old 5x3 window as I overlook a river. Probably simple 2,6 x 6,6 door. Light will be from large window and maybe a few battery powered LEDs so I don't have to deal with electrical.

Sugar house will double as a yard tool shed and maybe one day will add a small room for 4-5 chickens.

At best, I will double number of taps in 10 years, so not worried about building huge for future. I know bigger is better, but don't want to get in over my head, have to pull different kind of permit, or have costs run too high.

Anyone done this and have any advice? Thanks.

Sounds like a nice hobby for you. I don't know anything about sugaring syrup but to pour it on my hot cakes

As far as the sugar house/ tool shed goes I will tell you. If it is not to far to tap into your house panel Plan for the electrical. You say now you don't need it but in time you will be saying you wished you had,

agree with boo boo, if its in the budget, plan out some electrical, even if its just enough capacity for a few lights, and a few outlets, or wire in that stuff before you put the walls up, so that if you want it at a later date, you can easily add it, by just running the supply line, or have the option of connecting a portable genset in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.