Sugar Maple and Ironwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Went back in today after pushing in one rack of cherry (4 x 8) cut up this small sugar maple then went down in an area that had a small ironwood and a sugar maple across from it, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2424.jpg
    100_2424.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 416
  • 100_2425.jpg
    100_2425.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 429
  • 100_2426.jpg
    100_2426.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 100_2427.jpg
    100_2427.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 428
  • 100_2428.jpg
    100_2428.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 453
  • 100_2429.jpg
    100_2429.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 429
Good stuff there zap.

Thistle said:
Good stuff there zap.
Been driving by it way too much so I grabbed it today. I have a feeling February will be the month we get a chit load of snow so I'll grab all the loads I can in January.

zap

Whoa Zap. You got rid of a pastel of snow! We did too; the ground is bare. I'll be cutting this afternoon.

That's a recipe for a good fire.

Danno77 said:
That's a recipe for a good fire.

Danno77, I'm looking forward on burning some Ironwood next heating season.

Zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Whoa Zap. You got rid of a pastel of snow! We did too; the ground is bare. I'll be cutting this afternoon.

Cold weather moved in which was good for the trails, sure firmed them up. Sav have a good and safe day cutting.

zap

Cutting is going slow due to the sore back and neck but we still get it done. Only one load today. While I was cutting, I turned around once and saw my wife walking up to me so had some help loading the stuff.

Backwoods Savage said:
Cutting is going slow due to the sore back and neck but we still get it done. Only one load today. While I was cutting, I turned around once and saw my wife walking up to me so had some help loading the stuff.

Sav, if I remember you are ahead in the wood supply so one load is good, try and give the back plus the neck a rest.

zap

most of our snow is gone to . now i have to wait so i can sled the rest of the wood out of the woods. dont have these nice fancy toys to drag mine out of the woods. lol :coolcheese:

ecocavalier02 said:
most of our snow is gone to . now i have to wait so i can sled the rest of the wood out of the woods. dont have these nice fancy toys to drag mine out of the woods. lol :coolcheese:

ecocavalier02, you have some snow coming your way so pulling that fancy sled will be easier. :cheese:

zap

tfdchief said:
Zap, what is the BIG one laying on the ground in pics 4 and 5? How big is it?

It's a quaking aspen that the wind took down. Before it came down I saw a guy come off our property on a four wheeler up that trail to the neighbors property. We had been walking the line posting it before we had the rhino so I left it for a trail block.

I never measured it but when I'm back in this weekend I'll put the tape to it.

zap

tfdchief said:
Zap, what is the BIG one laying on the ground in pics 4 and 5? How big is it?

God damn it tfdchief, you have me thinking what a waste of wood and it would make some nice shoulder season wood. I'm thinking about maybe looking for a gate for a spring install then buck that up.

zap

Looks good Zap

We lost most of the snow at the farm too. I was too busy building sanding and painting shelves to get to play in the woods. But it was too wet and muddy to want to mess around there. I got a bunch of poplar to cut up when it freezes up good.

Billy

Hello all.
I'm new on this site but not new to cutting and burning firewood.
I like that set up you have for getting down the trails and hauling your wood out.
Nice 4x4 machine and trailer.
Maple is one of my favourite woods to burn here as we have lots of it locally.
How do you feel about guys tearing across your property without permission? Just asking because we have a lot of that around here too.
Too much actually.
Good luck with the gate and keep us updated on all of it.
~Stan

Cowboy Billy said:
Looks good Zap

We lost most of the snow at the farm too. I was too busy building sanding and painting shelves to get to play in the woods. But it was too wet and muddy to want to mess around there. I got a bunch of poplar to cut up when it freezes up good.

Billy

I was wondering what you had been doing, looks like this weekend I will be cleaning up an old trail so I can get to some beech and cherry that are down. The trails here started to get muddy then the colder weather moved in Saturday night and firmed them up.

zap

My BIL and I just walked the perimeter of our property (a lot of which was through heavy timber) and I think we counted about 2 4wheeler type trails and about 4 tree stands on our property. I'm not very happy about it. I plan on getting some signs up soon. Our problem is that there is a portion of our land that is rented out to a farmer. He gets the field use, not the timber (obviously) but has given permission to people to hunt in the timber. I've already had a talk with one hunter who claimed to have permission, I set him straight. Once I get the signs up I'll give 'em a year or so to get their stands down, then I'll take them down myself. after that I'm setting trail cameras up.

Dad and I went to the farm Christmas eve and stayed until the 2nd. The local bar just got wifi so I may have to find a cheep laptop so I can check in when I am UP. I will definitely have to find some way to go online if I move UP next year. Keep up the good work!!

Billy

Danno77 said:
My BIL and I just walked the perimeter of our property (a lot of which was through heavy timber) and I think we counted about 2 4wheeler type trails and about 4 tree stands on our property. I'm not very happy about it. I plan on getting some signs up soon. Our problem is that there is a portion of our land that is rented out to a farmer. He gets the field use, not the timber (obviously) but has given permission to people to hunt in the timber. I've already had a talk with one hunter who claimed to have permission, I set him straight. Once I get the signs up I'll give 'em a year or so to get their stands down, then I'll take them down myself. after that I'm setting trail cameras up.

Danno77, the previous owner of our property let this person walk on the property then she brought a friend and her friend brought a friend. When we bought it we started getting calls from these people that claimed the previous owner gave them permission (he only gave permission to one lady) so we said no for anyone calling.

All you can do is get it posted and talk with the renter, I spend plenty of time back in which I think helps because people do see that. We did have one tree stand but it was in a tree that marked the line, but It was taken down two years ago.

zap

Stan I don't have much problem with other peoples 4 wheelers as I am past the end of a dead end road. But I am making all my trails 30 to 100 feet inside my property line. Not only does that let me cut wood off of both sides of the trail it gives me a lot more control of who uses them.

Billy

marine5068 said:
Hello all.
I'm new on this site but not new to cutting and burning firewood.
I like that set up you have for getting down the trails and hauling your wood out.
Nice 4x4 machine and trailer.
Maple is one of my favourite woods to burn here as we have lots of it locally.
How do you feel about guys tearing across your property without permission? Just asking because we have a lot of that around here too.
Too much actually.
Good luck with the gate and keep us updated on all of it.
~Stan

Stan I only saw one four wheeler come off our property in the four years we owned it but none since. (about 3 years ago it happened) I did catch a guy that is on the town council walking on our property when we first bought it and put a stop to that.

In the summer of 2008 a big popple came down in a storm which blocked a trail from our property to the neighbors property that the four wheeler came in on. :coolgrin:

Edit: Stan it's the snowmobiles that try and come on the property and not the four wheelers, so we are thinking of a new gate in that area also.

zap

Sounds like you're in a nice area and a nice set-up there Cowboy also sounds like you do need a gate with a sign.
It's sad when some trail users have no respect(drinking, leaving trash or damaging stuff, etc) or don't bother to ask or even find out who owns the properties so they can get permission to use an area.
It makes it bad for all the good and responsible drivers.
I have no problem with people having fun, but not in a disrespectful way. After all we are not alone and we are all here to get along and some need to remember that.
It's not too bad here. I only have 2.5 acres but am in the middle of a lots of woods and also on a dead-end road.
It's very peaceful here unless the gunshots are too close for comfort (hunting season there are usually a few shots way too close to our houses). But all in all not a bad spot I have here.

I just love looking at the wood all neatly packed in the trailer there. I love the look of logs, not sure why. Maybe even better that the look of split and stacked pieces.
Weird eh?

~Stan

Hey Zapy.
It's true.
Sometimes when you someone an inch, they want a mile.
I usually set things straight right away (but nicely) to tell them that this is not acceptable behaviour from them.
Good Luck.
~Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.