Sugar Maple / Cold Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Sunday is our day we push in wood so we pushed in two loads of cherry, then after seeing the weather report of colder weather I decided it was time for the good stuff (sugar maple) to be cut down and brought in.

In the front of the trailer I put the pieces 16 inches and below then I loaded the back of the trailer with 16 inch and over then cut some down using this jig, the sugar maple will be used for the overnight burns.

This Sugar Maple was bucked and split in the summer of 2007 and stacked for two years, the first year it was left in the woods after splitting.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2149.jpg
    100_2149.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 445
  • 100_2150.jpg
    100_2150.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 428
Zap - that 3 year old sugar maple is going to burn SWEET! Enjoy! So....after cutting down your splits, what are you left with for nubs? Do you just toss aside for shoulder season? Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Zap - that 3 year old sugar maple is going to burn SWEET! Enjoy! So....after cutting down your splits, what are you left with for nubs? Do you just toss aside for shoulder season? Cheers!

NH_Wood I brought the pieces in (2-3 inches long) and when I start the fire in the morning some will go in. Last year was a first for most things concerning heating with wood with one being don't load the lopi up with sugar maple on hot coals (450) thank god the air control did the job.

I never seen the needle on the thermometer move so fast, held at 750 thank god. I stayed with it for another 40 minutes just to make sure it had settled in, it was 10-15 below that night and I found out when its colder the draft improves. :red:

zap

Next year you can burn some beech zap. I have some of that seasoning too. It is surprising you do not have any Oak on all that land, do you have any Hickory or Ash or Locust? Locust seems to be the ultimate all nighter wood. Actually I use the maple more in the shoulder season around here, I like it, but just doesn't burn that long. It does season quick.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Next year you can burn some beech zap. I have some of that seasoning too. It is surprising you do not have any Oak on all that land, do you have any Hickory or Ash or Locust? Locust seems to be the ultimate all nighter wood. Actually I use the maple more in the shoulder season around here, I like it, but just doesn't burn that long. It does season quick.

Must not be Sugar Maple then.

That should keep you warm Zap.

GolfandWoodNut said:

Out of the three we just have some ash. Sugar Maple is great for overnight burns our just burning period, leaves some nice coals along with some nice btu's.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
That should keep you warm Zap.

Sav the Cherry has been doing the job and should continue doing the job. Loaded the Liberty up with eight splits (Cherry/12:00pm) last night then got it settled in and hit the sack, reloaded at 6:45 this morning on hot coals with the main floor temp 70 degrees and the outside 17.

The air was not closed down all the way.

zap

I guess I do not have all the Maples down. Good job, I would say you have enough to hold you over.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Must not be Sugar Maple then.

He must be burning Red Maple......................

WoodButcher

Good stuff zap! I used some maple this past weekend. The stuff throws off some heat and burns for a good long time.

Skier76 said:
Good stuff zap! I used some maple this past weekend. The stuff throws off some heat and burns for a good long time.

Time we throw some sugar maple on, decided to get into the good stuff for the next couple of weeks. Skier76 I heard Vermont is getting hit real good with the snow.

zap

Northern VT is getting it pretty good right now. SoVT will pick up a few inches of snow tonight. Could be something a bit bigger by next Sunday. But it's been staying nice and cold so making snow isn't an issue right now.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I guess I do not have all the Maples down. Good job, I would say you have enough to hold you over.
Just remember sugar maple is the sweetest of all maples.

oldspark said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
Just remember sugar maple is the sweetest of all maples.

oldspark it was sweet this morning, I loaded ithe Liberty up with sugar maple then got the fire settled in then went and got ready. Went downstairs with some coffee and the wife was in control, it was cruising at 675 and throwing some nice btu's and the wife had closed down the air control.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.