Sugar Maple Done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I went up in for a couple hours and bucked up this sugar maple, still have another load or two that needs hauling out. The last picture is what I caught one of the chains on coming down the hill which caused it to come off.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2295.jpg
    100_2295.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 382
  • 100_2296.jpg
    100_2296.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_2297.jpg
    100_2297.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 100_2298.jpg
    100_2298.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_2299.jpg
    100_2299.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 375
  • 100_2300.jpg
    100_2300.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 398
Sweet Zap! Looks like that machine is doing very well in pretty good snow - do you plow your way in at all? Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Sweet Zap! Looks like that machine is doing very well in pretty good snow - do you plow your way in at all? Cheers!

NH_Wood, I decided against the plow for the rhino and with the chains on the back tires that is all I need. On Saturday or Sunday I will be dragging the trails with a pine I cut in the fall to knock down the snow.

zap

Zap, I took the day off. We could not cut until this afternoon and the wife mentioned she was really tired but also needed to get some Christmas baking done. So I had to decide whether to cut wood or let her bake some goodies. What would you have done?

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I took the day off. We could not cut until this afternoon and the wife mentioned she was really tired but also needed to get some Christmas baking done. So I had to decide whether to cut wood or let her bake some goodies. What would you have done?

Sav, I would take the day off then eat some of the Christmas baking. The wife has been baking since I woke up, just downed some nice cookies with MILK! :coolsmile:

ZAP

wood spliter said:
Zap, I'm not sure what looks better. The cut up wood or the beautiful snow cover.
+1 here. I marvel at every photo. I don't know where Zap lives but probably a good thing or I would be there helping him just to be out in that country. Of course unless the wife was baking Christmas cookies.... you made the right choice Dennis. Merry Christmas everyone! Steve

wood spliter said:
Zap, I'm not sure what looks better. The cut up wood or the beautiful snow cover.

Wood Spliter, it was a great day in the woods with the temps at 23 degrees and not any wind. Friday I will be hauling what I have bucked up out of the woods and back to the house plus make a delivery of cookies my wife baked to the neighbors.

These are the cookies I will deliver.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2307.jpg
    100_2307.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 308
Beautiful. Nice straight wood. Easy to split.

tfdchief said:
wood spliter said:
+1 here. I marvel at every photo. I don't know where Zap lives but probably a good thing or I would be there helping him just to be out in that country. Of course unless the wife was baking Christmas cookies.... you made the right choice Dennis. Merry Christmas everyone! Steve

tdfchief, we live in the foothills of the adirondacks in the town of colton.

Merry Christmas

zap

bboulier said:
Beautiful. Nice straight wood. Easy to split.

bboulier, I hope to start splitting on Friday. (beech,sugar maple and cherry)

Merry Christmas

zap

tdfchief, we live in the foothills of the adirondacks in the town of colton.

Merry Christmas

zap
Zap, I was afraid you were a little to far for me to help, but if I ever get that direction, I will be packin my chain saw for sure :coolsmile: Steve

Nice pictures Zap, always enjoy them, its fun to be out in the woods this time of the year. Dave.

I love sugar maple. Seasons quickly, burns well and leaves a nice coal. Great score there.

richg said:
I love sugar maple. Seasons quickly, burns well and leaves a nice coal. Great score there.

richg, last night I put six good size splits of sugar maple and two smaller splits of cherry and woke up seven hours later (this morning) with a nice bed of coals with the stove top temp at 200.

The only other wood we have with more btu's is ironwood but it's not for this year.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.