Sugar maple double check

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
Double checking this is sugar maple. Considering the amount of bees swarming the stumps now....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 196
That bark looks spot-on according to my field guide. I think there can be a pretty big difference in bark between a young tree/limb and mature bark. The young stuff can be nearly smooth.

If the wood looks like it should be a cutting board or kitchen table, it's rock maple.

I was going off IDNR and my book as well. Which my book has leads to be incorrect before. (Notice I didnt say my book was wrong!)

Reactions: Soundchasm
Hard to tell from that pic, but Sugar will have a slightly smoother appearance on the split wood than soft Maple.

Whether it's good wood or not (but it is), I'm heavily biased toward sugar maple. One absorbed a HUGE hit from a massive black cherry tree and saved my house. Skinned it on both sides and split it top to bottom, but it held and landed the cherry tree 20-30' further from my house, which otherwise would have been inside my living room.

And I really like maple syrup. And my oldest guitar (78, original owner) is a rock maple body. Definitely not unbiased. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4215.jpg
    IMG_4215.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 153
My neighbor complained that she has gained ten pounds because of the rock maple going through my stove. She lets the dogs out in the morning and then thinks pancakes. :)

Whether it's good wood or not (but it is), I'm heavily biased toward sugar maple. One absorbed a HUGE hit from a massive black cherry tree and saved my house. Skinned it on both sides and split it top to bottom, but it held and landed the cherry tree 20-30' further from my house, which otherwise would have been inside my living room.

And I really like maple syrup. And my oldest guitar (78, original owner) is a rock maple body. Definitely not unbiased. ;)
It looks like it was laying on a section of your house though. Was it?

Its nice when you can get your wood pre-split ;lol

I could not be sure myself without seeing the leaf. They are all so similar. It is not a softer maple, that I can guess, so it's good burning.

It looks like it was laying on a section of your house though. Was it?

It kissed the corner of the old sunroom. Had to chainsaw my way onto the deck. Not trying to hijack your thread, but that cherry tree had three major sections. One covered the south side of the deck, one the gazebo and hottub, and one the side yard. Without that maple, it would have been a dark day, indeed. There was so much noise from the hailstorm and possible tornado I never even heard it come down. Crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_4216.jpg
    IMG_4216.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4219.jpg
    IMG_4219.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 120
My neighbor complained that she has gained ten pounds because of the rock maple going through my stove. She lets the dogs out in the morning and then thinks pancakes. :)

Yeah, see, it's YOUR fault she's put on weight! ;lol :p ;em

Status
Not open for further replies.