Sugar Maple / Saturdays Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Had a good day in the woods, I took these two sugar maple starting with the bottom maple with the pole saw. Made a cut from the left side first then the right side and when it came loose it shot down the left side.

I took the sugar maple crossing over top second.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1142.jpg
    100_1142.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 376
  • 100_1141.jpg
    100_1141.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_1150.jpg
    100_1150.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 371
  • 100_1148.jpg
    100_1148.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_1149.jpg
    100_1149.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 386
It was a perfect day for it. Nice pics and work as always.

zapny said:
Made a cut from the left side first then the right side and when it came loose it shot down the left side.

I don't quite understand this from the pics; where exactly were those cuts made? too bad we can't easily add in some ability to comment on photos to draw in some arrows and comments.

How does sugar maple burn anyway?

Just curious.

Cheers Hiram :)

Hiram Maxim said:

Near the top of my list. Dense, cuts easy, splits easy and seems to dry fast.

Battenkiller said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Sweet, real sweet. ;-)

Hot, real hot. I have some Sugar Maple thats been stacked 2 years and cut 3 (one year was spent in a pile in the woods) I'm looking forward burning that.

zap

heatit said:
zapny said:
Made a cut from the left side first then the right side and when it came loose it shot down the left side.

I don't quite understand this from the pics; where exactly were those cuts made? too bad we can't easily add in some ability to comment on photos to draw in some arrows and comments.

I used the pole saw because it was safer.

Heatit I hope this helps, the first picture with the red greater than sign (that was the side I cut first starting at the top then I came up from the bottom making a cut, then I did the same thing on the other side with the pole saw. After doing the last side it shot off to the left has you look at the picture and back about 5 - 6 feet.

In the second picture the bottom tree is the one I cut with the pole saw, you can see by the sway in the tree that the pressure would be back toward the stump, I thought by looking at that the tree once it cut loose would come back and thats what it did.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1141.jpg
    100_1141.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 100_1142.jpg
    100_1142.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 259
So when people refer to maple as being "Hard Maple" I assume that Sugar Maple is hard maple?

Battenkiller said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Sweet, real sweet. ;-)

I knew someone would chime in with something like that! Lol

:p

Hiram Maxim said:
So when people refer to maple as being "Hard Maple" I assume that Sugar Maple is hard maple?

Sugar Maple=Hard Maple, it's hard to get when ordering firewood in this area.

zap

zapny said:
Hiram Maxim said:

zap

Ok, Thanks!

Is any other species of maple considered a "hard Maple"?

There is a ton of Sugar maples at my Buddies place in the U.P.

Hiram Maxim said:
zapny said:
Hiram Maxim said:

zap

Ok, Thanks!

I've never heard of anything but sugar maple being called hard maple.

zap

We had this debate a while back but if you do research on the web you will find that Norway Maple is also a hard maple, one person found in on a btu chart and it was pretty much the same as Sugar, I also found it listed on several sites for flooring and furniture use.

Hiram Maxim said:
zapny said:
Hiram Maxim said:

zap

Ok, Thanks!

I was doing some reading last night after I signed off and found that they consider Black Maple and Sugar Maple to be hard maple.

zap

Hiram Maxim said:

You can get syrup from other kinds of maple, but if a tree is truly a sugar maple (Acer saccharum), it is the same thing that folks call hard or rock maple. No other maple is as dense and as hard AFAIK.

To me, sugar maple burns like cherry, only 1 1/2 times as long. Very hot and clean burning when it is dry, without the excessive coaling problem that you can sometimes get with oak, hickory, and black locust. It's among favorite woods, but I just can't get it delivered around here.

Battenkiller said:
Hiram Maxim said:

You can get syrup from other kinds of maple, but if a tree is truly a sugar maple (Acer saccharum), it is the same thing that folks call hard or rock maple. No other maple is as dense and as hard AFAIK.

To me, sugar maple burns like cherry, only 1 1/2 times as long. Very hot and clean burning when it is dry, without the excessive coaling problem that you can sometimes get with oak, hickory, and black locust. It's among favorite woods, but I just can't get it delivered around here.
The BTU chart that shows Normay Maple on par with Sugar is on a site that locks up my computer but I do believe NM is as dense as Sugar (or so close it does not matter).

oldspark said:
Battenkiller said:
Hiram Maxim said:

The BTU chart that shows Normay Maple on par with Sugar is on a site that locks up my computer but I do believe NM is as dense as Sugar (or so close it does not matter).

Oldspark have you ever burned Black Maple?

zap

No, why do you ask, I am just throwing out what I found on the internet about the Norway being a hard maple, I have only burned silver, not much sugar around here, I have some Norway maple in my grove but have never burned any.

oldspark said:
No, why do you ask, I am just throwing out what I found on the internet about the Norway being a hard maple, I have only burned silver, not much sugar around here, I have some Norway maple in my grove but have never burned any.

Not any reason other than when I was looking around the net I found black maple called hard maple.

zap

If I remenber correctly sugar (rock), norway maple, and the black you speak of are all considered hard maple.

oldspark said:
No, why do you ask, I am just throwing out what I found on the internet about the Norway being a hard maple

Dunno, you may be right. I saw something that said Norway was about 40 pounds/cu.ft. I know rock is usually about 45. That's just a little over 10% difference if true, but not enough to worry about. There are likely bigger differences between trunk and limb wood in any given tree. All I do know is that sugar (rock) maple is a very superior firewood and worth taking the time to collect. Apparently, Norway is up there with the other "hard" maples as well. I certainly won't turn any down.

Status
Not open for further replies.