Sugar Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This small sugar maple was growing in a arc plus it had very few leaves so I decided to take it.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1110.jpg
    100_1110.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 413
  • 100_1111.jpg
    100_1111.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 100_1112.jpg
    100_1112.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 397
It was an ugly one, so a good take. Zap, can you, or someone tell me how to tell the difference in the maples. I can tell a maple, but sugar, hard, red. What are the tell tale signs?

Red maple leaves are serrate (teeth along the edges), sugar maple leaves are not serrate, silver maple leaves have deep cuts in the lobes and have a two-tone appearance, white or silvery below and green on the top side of the leaf. Works for me anyway. Than there's also Norway maple which makes it a bit trickier.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Zap, can you, or someone tell me how to tell the difference in the maples. I can tell a maple, but sugar, hard, red. What are the tell tale signs?

I snagged this when it was posted in another thread.

Attachments

• maple-leaves.gif
    maple-leaves.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 587
GolfandWoodNut said:
It was an ugly one, so a good take. Zap, can you, or someone tell me how to tell the difference in the maples. I can tell a maple, but sugar, hard, red. What are the tell tale signs?

For me it's the leaves (posted above & below ) plus on our property we have mostly Sugar (Hard) Maple, we have some Silver Maple.

Links to help tell the difference between Maples.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5954923_tell-maple-soft-maple-trees.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...e+side+or+the+bottom&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/kids/tree_silv.htm

Zap

Thanks for the help. I was checking some leaves and it looks like I have mostly sugar, some silver and a little red.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Thanks for the help. I was checking some leaves and it looks like I have mostly sugar, some silver and a little red.

You are welcome GolfandWoodnut, the more time I spend in the woods the better I think I'm getting at tree identification then the leaves come off and it starts all over again. :cheese:

zap

zapny said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

You are welcome GolfandWoodnut, the more time I spend in the woods the better I think I'm getting at tree identification then the leaves come off and it starts all over again. :cheese:

zap

Spend enough time though and eventually you'll get pretty good at IDing the tree with the bark . . . or at least some of the more common species you run across.

Status
Not open for further replies.