Sugar Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Made one trip back in and grabbed another load of Sugar Maple then stacked it.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1751.jpg
    100_1751.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 405
  • 100_1760.jpg
    100_1760.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 367
Excellent. A whole lot of Sugar Maple gets burned in the counties just to our west in VA and WV. A friend of mine with a farm over there has a huge one down that he thinks has at least 20 full size pickup loads in it. A lot gets burned to boil down the maple syrup over there in the spring too.

ShenValSteve said:
Excellent. A whole lot of Sugar Maple gets burned in the counties just to our west in VA and WV. A friend of mine with a farm over there has a huge one down that he thinks has at least 20 full size pickup loads in it. A lot gets burned to boil down the maple syrup over there in the spring too.

20 Loads that is a big tree, up here in northern new york some of the maple syrup producers switched to oil. I talked with one last year and they said even with the higher prices for oil it still cost less then burning wood.

zap

Interesting. I'd like to see an analysis on that. There's at least one producer in the area I'm speaking of that uses the reverse osmosis method. I've not burned much sugar maple myself, I've got some this year and I'll be anxious to see how it does. But with a new stove on the way, I'm anxious to see how it all does!

ShenValSteve said:
Interesting. I'd like to see an analysis on that. There's at least one producer in the area I'm speaking of that uses the reverse osmosis method. I've not burned much sugar maple myself, I've got some this year and I'll be anxious to see how it does. But with a new stove on the way, I'm anxious to see how it all does!

You will love the way sugar maple burns, I use it during the coldest months plus for overnight burns. Our stove was new last year (Lopi Liberty) and we love it, we have about 6 face cord of three year old sugar maple which should put out some nice btu's.

zap

How was the weather tonight, I see North Carloina in certain areas had tornado warnings.

We had some rain and some thunderstorms in the area Tuesday night, last night was clear and unseasonably warm (low was 58 this morning). Violent weather is unusual in the valley. We've had a dry summer and early fall, so the rain was welcomed.

Zap,

sorry to hijack this thread, but....

Steve, where in the shen. valley are you?

you must be talking about the maple syrup producers in Highland county right? We go to get syrup and maple donuts at the festivals in the spring.

We live in western rockingham county right near the national forest. ever hear of Briery Branch? or 'the branch' as they say.

but yeah, back to topic, we do have sugar maple here, thought i've yet to burn any. mostly what I get is chestnut oaks from the forest and black locust from the farms.

FLINT said:
Zap,

sorry to hijack this thread, but.... It's good with me. zap :)

Steve, where in the shen. valley are you?

you must be talking about the maple syrup producers in Highland county right? We go to get syrup and maple donuts at the festivals in the spring.

We live in western rockingham county right near the national forest. ever hear of Briery Branch? or 'the branch' as they say.

but yeah, back to topic, we do have sugar maple here, thought i've yet to burn any. mostly what I get is chestnut oaks from the forest and black locust from the farms.

Flint, I live in Staunton. I used to fish "the Branch" a lot before they quit stocking it, although I've caught natives in there too. I hunt in Highland County, have friends over there and feel it's my duty to eat as much as possible during the maple festival. It's a real sacrifice with those maple donuts but I feel it's a worthy cause!

Thanks for letting us hijack your thread Zapny. I've visited the Cooperstown area over to Niagara Falls. I'm hoping to visit the Adirondacks up towards Lake Champlain someday.

ShenValSteve said:
Flint, I live in Staunton. I used to fish "the Branch" a lot before they quit stocking it, although I've caught natives in there too. I hunt in Highland County, have friends over there and feel it's my duty to eat as much as possible during the maple festival. It's a real sacrifice with those maple donuts but I feel it's a worthy cause!

Thanks for letting us hijack your thread Zapny. I've visited the Cooperstown area over to Niagara Falls. I'm hoping to visit the Adirondacks up towards Lake Champlain someday.

Lake Champlain is a great area to visit and has some great bass fishing and I think the walleye fishing is excellent also.

zap

ShenValSteve said:

Cool man, well you aren't that far away. haha, yeah, me and my wife crave those maple donuts sometime.

And actually, I have a geographical connection with Zap as well (I think I mentioned this before to him in a post), but I am originally from upstate NY. Born in Ogdensburg, dads family is from Potsdam area. My aunt lives in Tupper Lake, Uncle has a camp at Star Lake.

And speaking of sugar maple trees. My dad's family used to make syrup from their sugar woods. He said their sugar maple trees were huge. My dad actually still owns that sugar woods, and I think its for sale - if you know anyone interested.

FLINT said:
ShenValSteve said:

Cool man, well you aren't that far away. haha, yeah, me and my wife crave those maple donuts sometime.

And actually, I have a geographical connection with Zap as well (I think I mentioned this before to him in a post), but I am originally from upstate NY. Born in Ogdensburg, dads family is from Potsdam area. My aunt lives in Tupper Lake, Uncle has a camp at Star Lake.

And speaking of sugar maple trees. My dad's family used to make syrup from their sugar woods. He said their sugar maple trees were huge. My dad actually still owns that sugar woods, and I think its for sale - if you know anyone interested.

Is the land in Potsdam or the Burg? How much land is there, because this guy that sugars near us buys all his sap because he never bought any land.

zap

zapny said:
FLINT said:
ShenValSteve said:

Is the land in Potsdam or the Burg? How much land is there, because this guy that sugars near us buys all his sap because he never bought any land.

zap

potsdam

i can't remember the exact acerage, 30-60ish

FLINT said:
zapny said:
FLINT said:
ShenValSteve said:

zap

potsdam

i can't remember the exact acerage, 30-60ish

This guy lives 8-10 miles away from Potsdam on route 56, if I see him I'll ask if he's interested.

zap

That maple looks gooood!

Status
Not open for further replies.