Sugar Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I found this on the hill on the southside of our house, looks like a sugar maple. I'll get this after I haul the rest of the wood out of the woods.

Attachments

• 100_6447.JPG
    100_6447.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_6448.JPG
    100_6448.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
by the looks of the leaves underneath it looks to like a soft maple. Sugar maple has narrow leaves not the broad ones; i think.

by the looks of the leaves underneath it looks to like a soft maple. Sugar maple has narrow leaves not the broad ones; i think.
I think this tree has been down since spring so those leaves are from other trees. I'll buck up some rounds before the weekends over so we can tell for sure.

Definitely not a silver. Could be a red but I would put my money on sugar.

I will say Hard Maple but it is still tough to tell from those two photos.

Not to correct you but you should know for future identification. It's the other way around, silver maple has narrow lobed leaves and hard maple has broad.

It will be c/s/s by the end of next week, we'll have our answer by Sunday.

Bark is kind of too smooth for sugar...no?

Status
Not open for further replies.