Suggestion for the wiki

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guad

Jan 6, 2006
No Va
There is a primer on buying used stoves, but has anyone thought about putting something together on inspecting a new stove and installation? I could have been badly burned, figuratively, when my insert was delivered and the welds weren't done on it. I sat there all day and watched while the guys busted out the damper and stuffed in the liner so I could tell that they were taking great care in what they were doing but not everyone has all day to sit there and watch.

It would be nice to see an article that tells me, in a single place, what to look for up the chimney, in the liner and on the appliance itself. Like welds, gasket, glass (no cracks), bricks (no cracks, but chips are OK?), enamel (smooth and without cracks), liner, etc.

I have to say that this forum and my insert have really changed the way I think about energy consumption and conservation and I have learned a lot from all you pros. Kudos to everyone.

Guad

Status
Not open for further replies.