Suggestion for this Forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireitup

Oct 11, 2014
Waterbury, CT
What about a Glossary of Terms? Pardon me if there is one already, I haven't found it. It could be fun and informative with technical terms and "pellet slang" mixed together. Terms such as "shoulder pellet", "OAK", "basement dweller", "clinker", "Mag gauge"; I can think of a million of 'em, and I'm just a newbie embarking on my 2nd season here at the Mill.:)

Reactions: bags
Some that don't seem to be on those lists ...
Basement dweller = stove or fuel burning heater that is located in the basement.
Clinker = ash that has solidified in a burn pot and tends to clog air flow through the pot.
OAK = Outside Air Kit = a covered vent and metal piping that connects to a stove that provides the combustion chamber with a dedicated external air source for combustion.
Shoulder season = early fall or late spring where heating requirements are slightly reduced due to moderate outside temperatures.
Shoulder season pellet = a pellet which doesn't produce as many BTUs/lb or produces more ash/lb.

Feel free to add clarification...==c

Forgot one: Pellet Pig = he/she who hoards pellets;lol

Some that don't seem to be on those lists ...
Basement dweller = stove or fuel burning heater that is located in the basement.
Clinker = ash that has solidified in a burn pot and tends to clog air flow through the pot.
OAK = Outside Air Kit = a covered vent and metal piping that connects to a stove that provides the combustion chamber with a dedicated external air source for combustion.
Shoulder season = early fall or late spring where heating requirements are slightly reduced due to moderate outside temperatures.
Shoulder season pellet = a pellet which doesn't produce as many BTUs/lb or produces more ash/lb.

Feel free to add clarification...==c

Forgot one: Pellet Pig = he/she who hoards pellets;lol

Might be good to add those to the wiki? (Some of those are indeed in the wiki, just in odd places. The wiki could use a bit of cleaning up, editing, updating)

Status
Not open for further replies.