Suggestion to the Wood Shed forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.n.f.

Dec 14, 2007
Nelson BC
How about a sticky at the top of the Forum:

"Easterners Please Read. YOU CAN BURN DRY PINE."

Or hemlock, spruce, cedar, or larch.

May provide some education on the subject and stop the needless posts 'can I burn pine' questions.
You could get rid of the easterners part but to me that is the vital part of the message...

Well, in reality it should be something like "EASTERNERS PLEASE READ: YOU CAN BURN ALL WOOD". There is always questions about can i burn this kind of wood. the answer should always be yes. i dont discriminate. if im cutting a patch of maples, and there is a birch, or pine, or boxelder, guess what, im cutting it.

d.n.f. said:

May provide some education on the subject and stop the needless posts 'can I burn pine' questions.
You could get rid of the easterners part but to me that is the vital part of the message...

PLEASES don't. People will cut the pine to what ever lenght I want to get rid of it because it is unsafe to burn. If they know the truth, my supply will dry up.

d.n.f. said:

What? You cannot burn pine...thats a well known fact. It's clearly too dangerous.

Why do you think we have all those foreat fires out west? People burning pine.

;-)

mayhem said:
Why do you think we have all those foreat fires out west? People burning pine.

;-)

or medicinal herb .

all the campgrounds (on the Right Coast) have plenty of pine.
The ones around me get it for free and end up turning lots away.

What amuses me is the CL postings I keep seeing "pine firewood for OUTDOOR USE ONLY" umm... is there something toxic on it? I have been tempted to ask them why they say that as I wonder if there is more to the story than just the myth of pine is no good for stoves...

If we were to ever actually finally eradicate that myth, it would take away at least 10% of what we talk about here. I really like the conversations that arise out of the lore passed down through the songs and dances around the woodburning campfires. I say no sticky...nobody apparently pays any attention to them anyway. %-P Rick

Nobody reads stickies! They're just a PITA and force everyone to scroll down. In fact they hate them so much, they will never read them just on principle.

why would anyone want to burn pine when we have oak and ash :) ;)

d.n.f. said:

I say "AT LEAST EASTERNERS CAN READ" descendants of over 200 years of burning wood.

Sincerely BamBam (living in the first capital of the United States, and one of the original 13 colonies)

I plan on burning some spruce(as shoulder season approaches), it was cut down a few years ago, still looks good. Going to burn it, mainly to get rid of it. The only reason i won't burn softwood on a regular basis is that I live in an area that has good old fashioned hardwood. If I'm going to cut, split, stack wood, I'm going to use the good stuff, if i have it.

I've always thought one can burn pine and other softwoods and I'm from the "East". Actually, I'm north east of what most people call "The Northeast".

Funny post d.n.f. When we first got our stove a friend of my wife warned her to not to let me burn pine.

BTW, I love your part of the continent. We used to live in CDA and would head up to Nelson every chance we got. LOVED the hot springs. Absolutely beautiful!!

bambam said:
...I say "AT LEAST EASTERNERS CAN READ" descendants of over 200 years of burning wood.

Sincerely BamBam (living in the first capital of the United States, and one of the original 13 colonies)

Well, geez...aren't you special and lucky? All those of us out here in the West, of course, just sort of evolved here, appropriately right alongside /amongst our vast but, alas, inferior coniferous forests, and only recently discovered fire. Maybe, just like our indigenous trees, we're a different species from you. Oh well, perhaps if I convert to Buddhism, and I'm really lucky, I'll be reincarnated as a resident of one of the original 13 colonies. %-P Rick

That's the question my neighbor asked me the other day when we were talking about buying some "green" hardwood and getting it stacked for next season. They have at least two cords of dead white pine as understory in an over planted pine nursery ... I guess it was. The trees are already mostly dried, and a lot of it in the 5 to 6 in diameter size, just cut to length, no need to split.

I may offer to thin out the understory myself.

I love good old hard wood, but boy does it cost if you have to buy it from a wood splitter. Yes, I understand why, there's a lot of work in getting a cord of split wood together.

Hey Rick, I was up to NYC last week and took the tour through the Intrepid. I did a short ops cruise on the Ticonderoga CV-14 back in the late 1960s. She was a sister ship of the Intrepid, so it all looked familiar. Those were the days when all were fossil powered. Guess with the Kitty Hawk being put to moth balls (or what?) they are all nuclear powered now...not sure. Hum, thinking back I can't remember for sure, but I think the Kitty was fossil powered. For sure none burned pine.

Anyway, seeing your posts on this thread made me think of the Intrepid and your navy history.

Kitty Hawk was, indeed, a conventional (oil-burning) ship. In fact, that's where I acquired my nickname of "fossil". She's now decommissioned, and all the currently active carriers in the fleet are nuclear powered. Rick

Look at the forest fires they have out west... Why are they so big? All pine trees. Pine trees burn and are therefore dangerous. You shouldn't burn them unless you are actually trying to make a fire.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
...You shouldn't burn them unless you are actually trying to make a fire.

Matt, that's some damned sound advice...regardless of the fuel you intend to use. Rick

I heat this house with this stove of mine
I keep it warm, all of the time
Because it's fine
I burn the pine.

- Johnny (C)Ash

fossil said:
EatenByLimestone said:
...You shouldn't burn them unless you are actually trying to make a fire.

Matt, that's some damned sound advice...regardless of the fuel you intend to use. Rick

That's why I love coming here. You're always sure to find wonderful bits of wisdom. I'm going to make sure I had this one to my list. :)

flyingcow said:
I plan on burning some spruce(as shoulder season approaches), it was cut down a few years ago, still looks good. Going to burn it, mainly to get rid of it. The only reason i won't burn softwood on a regular basis is that I live in an area that has good old fashioned hardwood. If I'm going to cut, split, stack wood, I'm going to use the good stuff, if i have it.

I've always thought one can burn pine and other softwoods and I'm from the "East". Actually, I'm north east of what most people call "The Northeast".

What pine can be burned safely in a woodstove? Shocking! ;) 8)

I'm kind of, sort of doing the same as FC . . . got a bunch of spruce, fir and hemlock slabs left over from when my dad cut out some lumber . . . that's my go-to wood for this coming Fall and next Spring.

I'm not wood prejudiced . . . if something is in my way for a tote road I'll cut 'er down and process 'er for the heat . . . but with so much hardwood I spend the bulk of my time and energy on hardwood . . . mostly ash and maple on the family land . . . not a single oak in sight.

And FC . . . you're not just north east of Northeast . . . you're pretty much Way Up Yonder in the Willywags from what I can tell. ;)

Yes I did take offense to the "EASTERNERS" statement but if you look at the posts about burning pine they come from all over the U.S.A. not just the eastern half.

I used to be an Easterner (Toronto). West likes to bash the East. Gives us great pleasure. We feel insecure in our softwoods so we try to make up for it.

Found the west twelve years ago and never looked back. Alberta and now SW BC.

I grew up with the same don't burn pine old wive's tale.

This should cheer you up. Will Rogers.

"When the Okies left Oklahoma and moved to California, they raised the average intelligence level in both states."

Hey...I'm from California, you hoser. :mad: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.