Suggestions and advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
I am new to wood burning and need some seasoned wood for this year. I recently ordered two cords of "3 yr seasoned oak" only to find that it is soaking wet. So, it is sitting and seasoning for another couple years. However, I am left with no usable wood and although willing to pay for seasoned wood, I am very untrusting. I found this add on local CL with photos of the wood. I was hoping a few of you coul give me some advice as to whehter the pics show if the wood is seasoned. Also, any advice on how I can find the few honest guys selling seasoned wood? After this year, I will have my own supply which is seasoning now, but I really need some wood for this winter.

Thanks
Frank

Frank, no pictures. Send me a PM if you need help on that. As for finding seasoned wood now, it would be like finding the needle in the haystack. Also, 3 year seasoned oak is not necessarily what you would think. Probably some tree that had been down for 3 year or some big logs. Then when ordered the guy cuts to length and splits. Sorry, that is not 3 year seasoned, but that is the stories you get from wood sellers.

fran35, That is exactly why I got into c/s/s my own firewood.

Shortly after we first moved in I ordered some firewood and what I was told was "seasoned oak" turned out to be wet green oak.
The next guy did the same thing to me, and finally the last guy said I had to order at least 6 cords of wood and delivered 3 1/2 cords and tried to tell me it was a "rick".

So after getting screwed 3 times I decided to buy my own equipment and do it myself.

After 5 years of burning, I have tried to talk to as many people as possible and my advice to you would be to try a reputable tree company. The guys with half a million in equipment are less likely to sell bad wood to customers because they get a lot of word of mouth business. If they don't happen to sell the wood they cut down, they are likely to point you in the right direction.

Sorry, here are the pics in the link...

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/for/2159375717.html

I realize it is very tough too find a reputable dealer, but I also want to burn wood this year and next year begin burning my own stuff. Also, as a side: I live in rural farm country that has many acres of woods along the sides of the road. As a fresh new scrounger, it kills me to look into these woods and see downed trees that are being left to rot. If I were to find most of these land owners who own the woods, are they normally receptive to people removing downed trees? Is is standard to throw cash at a land owner for the right to harvest some of his dead/downed trees?

Thanks
Frank

I don't doubt there are land owners that would be happy to take some cash for downed wood. You might also suggest a split of 1/3 of the wood you cut to them and 2/3 for yourself. Some might even let you clean up the woodlot for them. You're not far from Amish country and they might be better to deal with if they have any wood for sale, or know someone who does. Does the State offer anything on their forest land? Here, we can get a permit for $20 to cut a section that they assign. The snow may be an issue to work through, but many of us here cut in the winter months. Best wishes on getting a good wood source.

Not sure exactly where you are located, but we just bought a cord of nice, dry wood (mostly oak). All bark free, split to fit our Harman stove, they delivered and stacked it, and it's actually a full cord. We're near Harrisburg....

Thanks redhorse,
I am in Delta, Pa which is in southern York County about 50 miles from you. If you could PM or post the contact info for the firewood I may order from him and make the drive if all else fails.

Thanks

The wood in the picture is often not actually the wood they are going to deliver.

Ten dollar delivery? Locust and hickory? 130 a cord? Maybe actually seasoned?
This all sounds too good to be true. Probably isn't true. But if it is, that wood
source is a keeper for sure!

fran35 said:
Sorry, here are the pics in the link...

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/for/2159375717.html

I realize it is very tough too find a reputable dealer, but I also want to burn wood this year and next year begin burning my own stuff. Also, as a side: I live in rural farm country that has many acres of woods along the sides of the road. As a fresh new scrounger, it kills me to look into these woods and see downed trees that are being left to rot. If I were to find most of these land owners who own the woods, are they normally receptive to people removing downed trees? Is is standard to throw cash at a land owner for the right to harvest some of his dead/downed trees?

Thanks
Frank

Just spoke to the guy, he seemed like a straight shooter. Old timer who says he supplies most of the surrounding towns with wood. We talked and I told him how I had been scammed earlier and was not looking to play games. He was confident that I would be a return customer. He states that the wood he is bringing has been split and curing for 3-4 years in a barn. He said he has 20 some cords cured in the barn now. I have a good feel off of my phone conversation with the guy and am thinking about ordering a couple cords. Any advice on making sure that I don't get duped?

If that wood in the picture is what you are to get, I say get it fast! But I'd still go to the place to see what you are to get before ordering.

As for cutting wood on farms, there are many who would love some ditch rows and fence rows thinned or all those trees taken down. Many times you can get that wood for free so long as you agree to stack the brush and then perhaps even burn it so you leave them nothing to clean up after you are done. Leave a mess though and you are finished in that area for sure! Approach the farmer with humility and don't be afraid to tell him what you are facing and then tell him what you are willing to do for him! There is one of the big keys. What are you going to do to get this wood?

You posted while I was typing. lol

If you have a good feeling about the guy, you are probably right and should buy from him. I'd still ask if I could pay him a visit.

One thing you can keep in mind is that even though the wood has been stored in a barn, it no doubt was stored there from the time it was split. Therefore, it will not dry as good! Wood needs air circulation. Still, it is worth checking to be sure.

Another thought. When you pay a visit, ask if you can buy $10 worth and throw that in your car. Take it home and burn it. Now you have your answer.

fran35 said:
He states that the wood he is bringing has been split and curing for 3-4 years in a barn.

Sounds like you found a supplier that actually knows the meaning of seasoned. I would get a load and try to burn it. If it burns well, I would turn around a buy the needed quantity for the rest of the season.

Im new to the game too and got screwed with my last wood delivery. Finding people here who know what theyre talking about has been pretty difficult.

As far as scrounging goes I think Ive had some pretty good luck, found a buddy who does horse rescue and and horse therapy for kids with autism. She was looking to create some riding trails through her woods and her husband couldnt do it alone. So she asked if I could help him and keep the wood. SCORE! She was at work when we went out there and took some standing dead from the tree line, but Im sure this summer (when the snakes are out) shell have plenty more that need to come down!

I am new to the game as well and scrounging is addicting. I look at everything differently now, always looking for possible fuel. Although I will buy some seasoned wood for this year, I doubt very highly I will have to buy for future seasons, unless I get lazy. There is just a ton of it around and very few people burn wood, and even fewer are willing to do the work that it takes to process your own. Now all I have to do is get over the mental part of walking up to people's houses and asking them for their downed wood. I am sure that after I do it once, I will be more comfortable.

yes, $130 for a cord of dry hickory and locust sounds like a great deal to me - seems like average around here is $150 for a cord of 'mixed hardwood'.

also, if you haven't started cutting for next year, unless you find some standing dead or down stuff, there is a possibility that it won't all be dry by next burning season. Oak usually takes 2 years to dry, and most other stuff a solid year is best - not the 6 month "year" between april and october.

if this guy really has good wood, you might want to get next years wood from him if you can afford it and then start cutting wood as soon as you can for the following year, that way, you will always be a year ahead and your wood will always be dry.

Thanks Flint.
I may do that. I also have three cords of "seasoned" wood that I already bought and has to cure. I am hoping that it may be usable next year at this time. If not, if this gent pans out, his price is right at least.

Fran35

Please let me know how this worked out for you! I also saw this post on CL and would purchase 2 cords if this vendor is truly providing a product that is ready to burn. I gave some good stuff away and now am wondering if I will have enough for this season.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.