Suggestions for bench grinder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hey guys - anyone want to suggest a bench grinder that you are happy with? Been looking around and reviews are all over the place. Don't want to spend more than about $150. Thanks!

The cheapy 1/3+ Hp bench grinders seem to work fine and last for years.

Which are you using fox988? Thanks! Cheers!

I honestly don't remember, I've had it for years. Cummins maybe? Its probably a Horbor Freight equivelent. A $150 budget should buy one that will last a lifetime, if you want to spend that much.

I'll check. I like quality tools and like to buy once - thanks!

Got plenty of grinders at work that could be considered Vietnam vets. ;lol

Looking for one for the home shop myself, same as NH_wood, I like quality but the HF cheapies do seem to hold up fine.

Fair enough - if I can save some cash, I'll do it - won't be used a ton - sharpening blades, some wire work and some buffing - perhaps the cheaper units will be just fine. I'll keep looking. Thanks! Cheers!

If U want to go with HF ,go here Discount Coupons , print out a coupon for 20 or 25% off

I use a 9" sander. Use it very often. Had a bench grinder, about only time I used it was to sharpen drill bits. Sold it.

The inexpensive grinders motor windings, brushes do not hold up well to heavy loads or extended sessions. Heavy shop use they tend to give up quick. In a home owner setting they likely ok. At my shop I spend the bucks for a Baldor unit or as close as I can get. Had a one two of the Chicom rigs burned them out quick, lesson learned.

Good info guys - I'll keep my eyes open for a local deal for a bit. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.