Suggestions for gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan H

Dec 28, 2005
Hello, newbie here. I am considering putting in a gas stove, and the local hearth shop carries the Hearthstone. They recommend the Santa fe model. I really like the look of the stove, but am open to any and all suggestions.

Experiences with Hearthstone stoves? Any other recommendations?

I currently have a wood burning stove.......too much work/mess for me. Is there a market for used stoves?

TIA

Market for used wood stove: Care to give some more info age, make, model, condtition, insert or free standing. App location

Welcome onboard

Elmira Stove Works..........no idea how old it is. I bought the house in 2001, the house was 12 years old, but don't know if they installed it when they first built the house.

Free standing, located in CA

and......wow! you guys are fast on the replies, I like that!

Susan H said:
Hello, newbie here. I am considering putting in a gas stove, and the local hearth shop carries the Hearthstone. They recommend the Santa fe model. I really like the look of the stove, but am open to any and all suggestions.

Experiences with Hearthstone stoves? Any other recommendations?

I currently have a wood burning stove.......too much work/mess for me. Is there a market for used stoves?

Big market for used stoves right now....lots of people want shop heat and other cheap heat. Elmiras were pretty decent stoves as they have a long history.

As far as gas stoves, the innards are quite similar, so price and style comes into play. Also, of course, purchase the correct size unit for your heating area so you don't have to turn it on and off (either by hand or thermostat). Most people like to have the fire going high rather than low for better looks....

HearthStone are nice stoves. I used to sell them and the gas stoves did well.

Susan,

I currently have the Hearthstone Tucson, installed last Friday...I'm currently having some issues with the stove and have a call into the Mfg. Although I don't think this is a reflection of the brand in general. You can read my post "gas stove getti ng blown out by the wind". In general it does a nice job heating a 26 X 22 ft room, currently I can only burn it on low due to the problems I'm having. Since I was new to the stove thing I bought a pellet stove for downstairs and a gas stove for upstairs. I originally thought the pellet was going to be more work for my wife that it actually is. If I can go back two weeks and was going to purchase all over agian I would have bought two pellet stoves...but that's just my opinion....

If I were purchasing the stove it would be to give it a familly more needy than I, After I retrofit and make sure it is safe to function properly. I have done this on 4 other occasions this year. Wish I had more to give away. Since it is in CA its a little too far to pickup.

elkimmeg said:
If I were purchasing the stove it would be to give it a familly more needy than I, After I retrofit and make sure it is safe to function properly. I have done this on 4 other occasions this year. Wish I had more to give away. Since it is in CA its a little too far to pickup.

What a good thing you are doing. I am more than happy to give it to a needy family. The hearth store had said they would haul it away for a $60 fee........twenty minutes earlier in the conversation they had said they were backordered on the wood stoves........so I figured there must be a way to make this a win/win situation.

I think I'll post it for free down at the local market. I live in a very small town, I'm sure someone can use it.

Also, thanks for info on the Hearthstone Tuscon, I'm off to read your thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.