suggestions for insert with low mantle clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverstone

Nov 25, 2007
Northwest Michigan
I'd love to go with a stove, but can't for reasons of space, so I'm left with an insert. I have 34" from hearth to mantle in a masonry fireplace. I've been combing through manuals, and the only thing I've found is the Hearthstone Clydesdale--with its mantle shield kit, the clearance is only 11". Add the insert's height (22.5) to the clearance and it works for me. Problem is, much as I think the Clydesdale is a beautiful piece of work, it's certainly on the pricey end of things.

Not looking to hash out the question of mantle clearance, and I know there are many posts on that topic. I'm just wondering if anyone can point to other inserts with similarly low clearances--not sure if I can stay sane while trying to find and look at every manual out there. If not, I'll keep on readin'...

Thanks!

Specs are: exterior masonry fireplace, 25', currently lined with 9x13 clay, plan to line fully with SS. opening, at front, is 24" high and 42" wide. at back, 28" wide. 30" deep. raised brick hearth is 34" from first flush wood trim, 40" from first projecting wood mantle.

I was in a similar situation but not a severe. I was 2" too close to meet minimum clearance requirement on anything out there. I found that big or small insert size didn't really matter. . .they pretty much all listed 39" as being the minimum.

My solution after much pondering was to remove 2" to get the required clearance and fill in the bottom gap with new molding.

This may or may not be an option in your case. Here's some links to my setup.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11795/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11515/

HOWEVER, even though the clydesdale will fit into your height opening of 24" you'd be hard pressed I would think to hook it up since the insert is 22.%" tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.