Suggestions for new stove for this situation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molly1414

Nov 20, 2007
Nevada County Foothills
We currently have a wood stove in the main part of our house which is 1500sf. We would like to add another stove downstairs which is another 1500sf. The stove will be in a large room. The stove pipe will travel up about 5ft before making a turn and going outside the house. The pipe will then make a turn and go up and clear the first story and the roof I am guessing 15-20 ft. Anyone have suggestions for a free standing stove for this situation? Will there be a draft problem with the long run of stove pipe? Thanks, Lynn

There won't be a high draft issue, this isn't a long run of pipe. I'd aim towards the longer side of 20'. The 2, 90 degree turns and outside pipe will reduce draft. The other thing to check will be if there are other devices/appliances creating negative draft in the basement. Some examples would be clothes dryer, bathroom fan, furnace, gas or oil hw heater. These may compete with the stove for air supply. If so, feeding the stove with outside air may help.

There are several medium sized stoves that might work here. It all depends on what you like and what is available. What stove do you have upstairs? Do you like it?

Thanks
What we have now upstairs is a Heat Tech EPA free standing stove. It came with the house when we bought it. I had never heard of this brand of stove but so far I have to say I really like it. It is very easy to use, has a nice size firebox, big glass door and has a nice secondary burn. I actually would not mind getting another one for the lower floor. I was just concerned that the long vent pipe with two turns in it would have a problem getting a good enough draft.

Great, I haven't seen the Heat Tech before. Love it when I learn about a new stove. Good to hear that it's working well for you.

There are lots of 2 cu ft stove choices that should work for you. Just depends on your budget, dealers and what style works well. Sounds like you are comfortable with steel stoves. Maybe look at Sierra, Lopi and PE for starters.

BeGreen said:
There won't be a high draft issue, this isn't a long run of pipe. I'd aim towards the longer side of 20'. The 2, 90 degree turns and outside pipe will reduce draft. The other thing to check will be if there are other devices/appliances creating negative draft in the basement. Some examples would be clothes dryer, bathroom fan, furnace, gas or oil hw heater. These may compete with the stove for air supply. If so, feeding the stove with outside air may help.

There are several medium sized stoves that might work here. It all depends on what you like and what is available. What stove do you have upstairs? Do you like it?

I think I would also add the upstairs stove to the list unless it already has an OAK setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.